TennisForum.com - View Single Post - ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

View Single Post

Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 01:28 PM   #2790
country flag pokey camp

pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus2006 View Post
No, it wasn't well said about Woz.

It was mean hearted, ignorant and cruel. Perhaps the author needs a little education on how the Ranking system works and what it means. Perhaps he needs to learn how to market Women's Tennis. Perhaps he needs to learn how to do research for his articles. It's clear he needs to learn how to be respectful.

I totally disagree with the author's pontification on things he knows nothing about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter. View Post
Wow. I can't believe a grown up thinks it's justifyable to talk like that. I admit I dislike Woz but that was flat-out arrogant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeFox View Post
The Fail is strong in that article.

As a Wozniacki fan I'll admit to bias but I think the harshness is less about her Grand Slam results and more about being butthurt about her success coming at the expense of Americans. Whens she became number one she was replacing Serena. And don't forget she was the one who popped the Oudin Beleive bubble at the 2009 US Open.

And I don't give a fuck what this guy thinks of Maria's resurgance being good for women's tennis. I still remember how almost two years ago when Maria lost to Melanie, to the American press she became just another Russian. And now I'm hearing Ted Robinson and company trying to make the age old "She's not really Russian!" argument again during her semifinal. What a bunch of phonies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maja12 View Post
I am by no way Wozniacki's fan, but what was written there is pathetic. The whole article is pathetic tbh... Kournikova? Didn't she show them already she is no Kournikova?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Monheaux View Post
I hate how they paint Maria as the great, white, commercial, AMERICAN, hope of tennis. They act as if anyone else are non-motherf*cking-factors compared to Maria and her endorsement portfolio.
Horrendous article. Absolutely pathetic.
ITA, but at the same time, I really believe that guy represents the POV of a lot of "casual fans" here in the US. That's what I meant when I said it was annoying, even if somewhat true. If you're not a winner, then you're a LOSER, LOSER, LOSER!!!! Simple as. And if you're not American, you'd better speak perfect English or you don't matter. He doesn't know a thing about tennis, that much is obvious, but neither does the average "casual fan." They care about who moves the needle, has the commercials, etc. There's a reason why tennis has dropped in popularity so much over the last decade here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s teddy View Post
That part of the article certainly was a bit cruel, but I think you're taking it out of context. I think he was trying to show the perspective of a casual American sports fan. Since Wozniacki is the No. 1 in the world and hasn't won anything important, she isn't seen as a star. Most Americans aren't going to watch women's tennis unless it involves a star whose name they recognize. The part about Wozniacki's "being a loser" was unnecessary, but I don't think he was trying to pick on her.
This. Turn on sports talk radio, or watch a non-tennis sports show (like PTI) when they talk about tennis and that's exactly the kind of stuff you'll hear.
pokey camp is offline View My Blog!