TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Alison Van Uytvanck

View Single Post

Old Jun 4th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #121
country flag Håkon

Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Alison Van Uytvanck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tully View Post
Can anyone tell me the main points of the article please?
She doesn't fit the stereotype of tennis players

quit the VTV academy because she found it too weird to have friends as competitors (and also had an injury and saw no point in sitting alone far from her family)

her family covered the costs of a personal coach (along with a few other players at the local club in the small town), but those expenses aren't covered on tour, so it has been a big investment for her father.

Her father runs the finances and is always trying to find the cheapest option for hotels and so on, but doesn't want Alison to get distracted from the tennis, so declines sponsorship invitations - instead she should grow up slowly

After her successes in Brussel, though, she got a deal with the VTV academy - they help with sponsors and logistics, but they stay independent. And she has a personal sponsor. So the finances should be solved for a while.

She attends a normal high school, which is difficult because she misses so many classes, but they work with the administration there to solve the problems, and her father thinks it's important that she has friends outside of tennis.

And finally it praises her mental strength and 'ice coolness' - saying she doesn't get carried away, and then more about the father saving money.

Think that was it. Native Dutch speakers feel free to correct.

As for your other question, I read that she was going to try to play in 's-Hertogenbosch, but the Q cut-off there was 112...so she will need a wild card (which isn't entirely impossible as the Dutch girls are all going to Wimbledon Q)

She just (yesterday) withdrew from 25k ITFs during the 1st week of Wimbledon anyway, that suggests to me that she's playing Wimbledon juniors at least.
game wins: FITD US Open '12, Guangzhou '10 (#1 since 8 July 2013), TT Indian Wells '11, TT doubles Moskva '11, Brussel '12, Pattaya '13, Stuttgart '13 (w/Andreas), PAW 4 titles, Suicide Olympic gold + 2 titles, Tipping 3 titles (#1 for 25 weeks, USO Series '12), Q-Ball 7 titles, Blackjack #1 2012, Pentathlon #1 2012 (5 titles)
Азарэнка | Павлюченкова | Arvidsson | Halep | Eikeri | Clijsters | Rus | Van Uytvanck | Watson | Bertens | Superboerin Hogenkamp | Weijers

Last edited by Håkon : Jun 4th, 2011 at 10:47 PM.
Håkon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote