TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Andrew's TV-reports (added full Women's Doubles final report)

View Single Post

Old May 24th, 2011, 03:29 AM   #20
country flag andrewbroad
Team WTAworld

andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Full fourth-round TV-report for Zvonarëva v Janković

=================
THE CHAMPIONSHIPS (Wimbledon, London, England; grass; Major)
=================---------------------------
Fourth-round TV-report: Zvonarëva v Janković (Monday 28th June 2010)
--------------------------------------------

+ VERA ZVONARËVA [21,EF] d. JELENA JANKOVIĆ [4], 6-1 3-0 (30/15) retired (low-back injury)

It’s unfortunate that Janković was injured, but I’m very pleased with Vera’s form going into her first Wimbledon singles quarter-final – just the third Major singles quarter-final she’s ever reached in her career, following the French Open 2003 and her Australian Open 2009 semi-final.

Vera was on fire in this match, and richly deserved her victory. She hit several pinpoint backhand winners down the line, and numerous other winners (finishing with a total of 18).

Vera was taken to Deuce in her opening service-game, but held, and then broke to 30 with the help of an off-forehand dropshot-winner and a forehand drive-volley winner. She served a quadruple fault from *2-0 (40/0), but made up for it with an ace out wide for 3-0*.

Vera hit a crosscourt backhand winner, but otherwise took advantage of two Janković backhand errors and a double fault to break again for *4-0. She recovered from 15/40 to Deuce, but was broken for 4-1*.

Vera broke for *5-1 with the help of a pinpoint backhand winner down the line, then served out the first set to 15 with an off-forehand winner, a stunning forehand winner down the line, and an ace down the middle at set-point.

The first game of the second set was the best in the match, as they hit five winners between them, and Vera eventually broke for 6-1 *1-0 after four deuces. Vera held for 2-0* with an off-backhand winner and an ace down the middle.

Janković quadruple-faulted to go down 1-6 *0-2 (0/40), and sprayed a wild backhand very long at 30/40, giving Vera 6-1 *3-0.

Janković took a medical time-out, lying face down on a towel to get her lower back massaged. The next game began with Vera serving two aces down the middle, with a double fault in between, then Janković shook hands with Vera at 6-1 *3-0 (30/15).

Janković was in tears, while Vera looked wonderfully sympathetic – she’s one of the most compassionate players I’ve ever known.

Vera said: “To be honest, I wasn’t paying any attention to what was going on on the other side. I didn’t notice anything until she called the trainer to the court. I’m not sure what it was. She said something was bothering her. I wish her a quick recovery, and I hope it’s not serious.”

First set
---------
ZVONARËV *@*@_@* 6
JANKOVIĆ ____@__ 1

The match was first on Court 12, and started at 12:16 BST.

Vera serving 0-0: Vera on the third stroke hit a down-the-line backhand wide. 0/15. Janković off-forehand just wide. 15/15. Janković’s deep crosscourt forehand just inside the baseline forced Vera to bunt a forehand lob wide. 15/30. Janković netted a forehand. 30/30. Janković hit a down-the-line backhand just wide. 40/30 (GP #1). Double fault #1 (second serve just long). Deuce #1. Ace #1: first serve out wide. Ad Vera (GP #1). Second serve... a longish baseline-rally ended with Janković hitting a crosscourt backhand wide. Held.

Virginia Wade: “I’m expecting this to be a real catfight, this match. In many ways, these two players are similar, because they both have phenomenal instinct off the ground. They just have such good timing off their groundstrokes. Zvonarëva /can/ be a little more aggressive.”

Janković serving 0-1: Janković went to the net behind a deep crosscourt backhand, forcing Vera to hit a backhand long. 15/0. A great rally culminated with Vera hitting a deep down-the-line backhand onto the baseline, pushing Janković close to the back fence, where she slipped and fell after bunting a forehand that clipped the netcord, and Vera was there to hit an off-forehand dropshot-winner. She held up her left palm in apology, as Janković was still sitting where she had fallen; she got up rather gingerly. 15/15. Deep first serve down the middle forced Vera to hit a backhand return wide. 30/15. Vera went to the net, forced a floater, and hit a down-the-line forehand drive-volley winner that just clipped the outside edge of the sideline. Virginia Wade: “The ability of Vera Zvonarëva to really /hit/ that forehand, and then sneak in and hit shots like that, might make a difference.” 30/30. Vera hit a searing backhand down the line for a virtual winner: right in the corner. 30/40 (BP #1). Janković crosscourt forehand just wide. Broken.

Virginia Wade: “Something both of these players do so well is move their opponent around, really to the extremities of the court. Zvonarëva is hitting the ball a little bit earlier.”

Vera serving 2-0: Vera’s deep crosscourt forehand forced Janković to hit a forehand long. 15/0. Janković went for a big backhand down the line, but it was just wide. 30/0. Service-winner down the middle. 40/0 (GP #1). Double fault (second serve just long). 40/15 (GP #2). Quadruple fault (second serve long again). Virginia Wade: “In Zvonarëva’s game, literally the one weakness she has is that there’s not a great deal of confidence with the second serve.” 40/30 (GP #3). Ace #2: first serve out wide, on the service-line. Held.

Virginia Wade: “[Janković is] being beaten by slightly faster balls that Vera can produce. They both are absolutely fantastically instinctive off the ground, and have such good timing. They’re as good as it gets, both of these two. I really love the way they move to the ball, get their preparation early, and strike the ball on the rise usually. The problem for Janković is that when it gets tight, she’ll not be able to hit /through/ her forehand. Zvonarëva /can/ hit through her forehand. They both have a few little temperamental weaknesses, and Zvonarëva used to go nuts on the court for no reason at all.”

Janković serving 0-3: Vera opened up the court with a crosscourt forehand onto the sideline, and hit a crosscourt backhand winner into the space she created. 0/15. Deep first serve forced a short return, giving Janković an easy crosscourt forehand winner. 15/15. Deep first serve down the middle forced Vera to net a backhand return. 30/15. Janković on the third stroke hit a backhand just long. 30/30. Janković netted a backhand. 40/30 (GP #1). Double fault (second serve into the net). Broken.

Vera serving 4-0: Vera’s deep crosscourt backhand induced Janković to spray a crosscourt backhand wide. 15/0. First serve out wide: Janković hit an off-forehand return-winner just inside the sideline. 15/15. Janković’s down-the-line forehand forced a short ball that sat up nicely for Janković to hit a down-the-line forehand winner back behind Vera. 15/30. Double fault #4 (second serve into the net). 15/40 (BP #1). Serve + off-forehand deep into the corner forced Janković to stretch wide and earth a backhand. 30/40 (BP #2). First serve out wide + off-backhand winner deep in the corner. Deuce #1. Janković’s deep forehand down the line forced Vera to hit a backhand long. Ad Janković (BP #3). Vera went to the net, but Janković’s dipping forehand down the line forced her to net a low backhand volley. Broken.

Virginia Wade: “I can’t work out technically why she serves double faults, because there’s nothing wrong with her service-action. Zvonarëva had had some injuries earlier in her career. In 2007, she had something [a wrist-injury] that kept her off the Tour for a while. But she came back so strong, and much much calmer, in 2008. She got to the final of the season-ending championships, then was doing really well at the beginning of 2009. And then she got to Charleston, and she had a horrible twisted ankle with a fracture, and that completely put her back again. Now she’s finally beginning to find confidence and play well again.”

Janković serving 1-4: Second serve: Vera crosscourt forehand return wide. 0/15. Janković on the third stroke hit a pinpoint forehand winner down the line. 15/15. Janković went to the net behind a deep crosscourt backhand on the service-line, forcing Vera to hit a crosscourt backhand wide. 30/15. Off-forehand return + pinpoint backhand winner down the line: right in the corner. 30/30. Vera hit a deep, body-jamming forehand, forcing Janković to hit a wild off-backhand wide. 30/40 (BP #1). Double fault (second serve into the net). Broken.

Vera serving 5-1: Vera opened up the court with an off-backhand, and hit an off-forehand winner. 15/0. Vera, driven wide by a short-angled forehand onto the sideline from Janković, hit a stunning forehand winner down the line! Barry Davies: “She was practically in the front row when she played that!” Virginia Wade: “You’re admiring the placement from both girls. Zvonarëva anticipated, but it still didn’t look like she could get there.” Deep first serve out wide (on the service-line) forced Janković to hit a forehand return wide. 40/0 (SP #1 for Vera). Vera on the third stroke hit a down-the-line backhand just wide. 40/15 (SP #2 for Vera). Ace #3: first serve down the middle. Vera won the first set 6-1 at 12:40 BST (24m).

Virginia Wade: “Absolutely excellent first set. Janković worked out and got stronger, but I’m happy to say that she’s decided that wasn’t the right way to go. It was making her muscle-bound, and now she’s got back to her lithe condition.”

Second set
----------
ZVONARËV @*@ 3
JANKOVIĆ ___ 0 retired

Janković serving 0-0: First serve out wide + off-backhand back behind Vera forced Vera to stretch wide and net a forehand. 15/0. Vera crosscourt backhand + pinpoint backhand winner down the line. 15/15. First serve out wide + crosscourt backhand winner. 30/15. Janković on the third stroke netted a backhand. 30/30. Janković hit a stunning backhand winner down the line: right in the corner. 40/30 (GP #1). Double fault #3 (second serve into the net). Deuce #1. Vera on the fourth stroke hit a pinpoint crosscourt backhand winner onto the sideline. Ad Vera (BP #1). Vera’s return clipped the baseline... after a longish rally, she went to the net behind a down-the-line forehand, but Janković hit a crosscourt backhand pass-winner. Barry Davies: “Janković thought that she won that rally twice.” Deuce #2. First serve: Vera’s deep backhand return down the middle forced Janković to hit an off-forehand wide. Ad Vera (BP #2). Double fault #4 (second serve into the net). Broken.

So far, Vera is playing brilliantly, Janković very poorly apart from the occasional good point. It’s getting late early.

Vera serving 1-0: Janković backhand long. 15/0. Vera forced a short ball, and hit an off-backhand winner. 30/0. Ace #4: first serve down the middle. 40/0 (GP #1). Deep first serve down the middle forced Janković to net a backhand return. Held.

Virginia Wade: “I think Janković is beginning to think that she’s hurting.”
Barry Davies: “Mentally or anatomically?”
Virginia Wade: “I was thinking... she’s obviously strained a muscle in her leg, and when you’re doing as badly as this, it begins to get into your head.”

Janković serving 0-2: Janković forehand long. 0/15. Double fault (second serve into the net). Janković asked the umpire to see the trainer. He said she could wait until the changeover. 0/30. Quadruple fault (second-serve foot-fault). 0/40 (BP #1). Janković forced a floater, and dispatched it with a deep off-forehand forehand smash, forcing Vera to net a backhand. 15/40 (BP #2). First serve down the middle + crosscourt forehand winner. 30/40 (BP #3). Janković on the fourth stroke sprayed a wild backhand very long. Broken.

Barry Davies: “It’s something close to an /annihilation/ at this stage.”
Virginia Wade: “I’m assuming that Janković’s leg is hurting, but Zvonarëva is as ruthless as can be. Now Zvonarëva hasn’t always made smooth sailing out of her tennis-life. We all remember a match that she played at the US Open 2004: she was a set and a break up against Dementieva, and suddenly she changed ends and she’s got her head in her towel and she’s sobbing! And she went on to lose the match. So she can have terrible mental nightmares. She’s definitely improved in that category.”

Janković took a medical time-out, lying face down on a towel to get her lower back massaged.

Barry Davies: “However unfortunate for her opponent, that’s tough on Zvonarëva. She has to think about it for an extra time.”

There was a nice lingering close-up of Vera’s ankles as the TV-camera tried to get a look at the scar from her right-ankle surgery last November.

Vera serving 3-0: Ace #5: first serve down the middle. 15/0. Double fault (second serve just long). 15/15. Ace #6: first serve down the middle. 30/15. Janković went to the net to shake hands with Vera. Vera won 6-1 3-0 (30/15) (Janković retired with a low-back injury) at 12:59 BST (second set 18m, match 43m). Janković was in tears, while Vera looked wonderfully sympathetic.

Virginia Wade: “I think Zvonarëva is actually hitting really good form right at the right moment. Her next opponent will be the winner of Clijsters and Henin. If it’s Clijsters, we’ll see some absolutely amazing groundstrokes from the two of them. If it’s Henin, we’ll see a lot of variety. Whoever comes through, it should be a great match tomorrow.”

Article
-------

No.4 seed Janković pulls out [skytext 483]
>>>
Jelena Janković became a high-ranking casualty in the Ladies’ Singles at Wimbledon when she was forced to retire from her fourth-round match against Russia’s Vera Zvonarëva.

The No.4 seed from Serbia was trailing 0-3 in the second set – after losing the first 1-6 – when she decided to call it a day.

Janković won just 17 points in a first set that lasted only 24 minutes on Court 2, before being broken twice at the start of the second.

The No.21-seeded Zvonarëva, who is through to the last eight at SW19 for the first time, will now face Belgium’s Kim Clijsters in the last eight.

Zvonarëva said: “To be honest, I wasn’t paying any attention to what was going on on the other side. I didn’t notice anything until she called the trainer to the court.

“I’m not sure what it was. She said something was bothering her. I wish her a quick recovery, and I hope it’s not serious.”
<<<

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
My Eternal Fanship: 1. Monica Seles; 2. Мария Шарапова (‘Maria Sharapova’); 3. Daniela Hantuchová; 4. Jelena Dokić; 5. Iva Majoli; 6. Karina Habšudová; 7. Вера Звонарёва (‘Vera Zvonarëva’); 8. Nicole Vaidišová; 9. Анна Чакветадзе (‘Anna Chakvetadze’); 10. Lucie Šafářová; 11. Ирода Туляганова (‘Iroda Tulyaganova’); 12. Magdaléna Rybáriková; 13. Sabine Lisicki
andrewbroad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote