TennisForum.com - View Single Post - WTA Ranks Update Thread

View Single Post

Old May 8th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #766
country flag Kerbicz

Kerbicz is a name known to all Kerbicz is a name known to all Kerbicz is a name known to all Kerbicz is a name known to all Kerbicz is a name known to all Kerbicz is a name known to all Kerbicz is a name known to all Kerbicz is a name known to all Kerbicz is a name known to all Kerbicz is a name known to all Kerbicz is a name known to all
Re: WTA Ranks Update Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelis View Post
[...]
New designated top 20 players (who finished inside top 20 at the end of 2010, but not at the end of 2009) don´t have to count any P5 results right now. After Toronto they must have at least one P5 result among best 16 and after Tokyo at least two.
Thanks for your explanation, Meelis. Now I understand what TBE intended to say. However, I'm still afraid that your interpretation does not agree with the actual WTA rules. Please read the relevant regulation from the 2011 Rulebook (Chapter XIV, Section 2/A/b/i):

i. New Top 20 Player

As a new Top 20 Player participates in Premier 5 Tournaments, after she participates in her first Premier 5 Tournament, her best Premier 5 Tournament within the 52 week cycle must count on her rankings. After she participates in a second Premier 5 Tournament, her (2) best Premier 5 Tournaments within the 52 week cycle must count on her ranking.

This provision implies, quite unambigously IMO, that a new Top 20 player must already have one P5 tournament (her best P5 result obtained within last 52 weeks) included in her "best 16" tally - on condition she played in Dubai this year. And, if she plays in Rome this week too, she will have to count two P5 results on her ranking, starting Monday May 16th.

If you still believe that your interpretation is correct, please name the provision from the Rulebook that justifies it.

Last edited by Kerbicz : May 8th, 2011 at 10:40 PM.
Kerbicz is offline View My Blog!