TennisForum.com - View Single Post - The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu

View Single Post

Old Jan 17th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #1001
country flag Shvedbarilescu
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu

That was a super result by Monica. I did kind of expect it as I know Timea struggles against Monica's game but I certainly didn't expect such a one-sided score.

As for Timea, I have to say I like her a lot, obviously nowhere near as much as I like Monica but Timea is cool. She seems a nice girl and I like her game too.

I also love this quote from Timea about Monica she apparently made after the match..."Some people talked about Niculescu being a good draw. However, in fact she is the opponent I fear most. I cannot play against her, I haven't won a single match despite playing her more than ten times". It's cool to see that Monica's game can effect other players so much. The quote reminds me a lot of the way Safin used to talk about Fabrice Santoro's game.

Anyway, as good a win as it obviously was, we shouldn't get to carried away. Yeah, it's good that Monica has pocketed 100 ranking points and it was a positive result but when Monica takes to the court next against Pironkova tomorrow what happened yesterday will be history. Pironkova won't be an easy opponent. The H2H is very different from that which Monica had against Bacsinszky. Pironkova leads 2-0. Even so, I do think this is a winnable match if Monica plays well. Tsvetana doesn't seem to be at her best right now and this looks a good time to score a win against her.

It's a hard one to call. I guess we will just have to cross our fingers and wait. I hope it is on a televised court as it is sure be a heck of a fun match as Pironkova has a pretty decent forehand slice of her own. Indeed, this match could very well be titled "The battle of the forehand slices".