TennisForum.com - View Single Post - ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

View Single Post

Old Jan 6th, 2011, 03:10 AM   #1276
country flag NewShoulderPlz.

NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future
Re: ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

Quote:
1:04pm Mooloo Maria? (Arn/Sharapova 4-1)

I'm not sure on the rules regarding instruments here at the ASB Tennis Centre but it would appear there's a lone Waikato fan here supporting Sharapova. Everytime the Russian wins a point the cow bell rings and while it's no vuvuzela, I'm unsure if you'd get away with that at Wimbledon?

Meanwhile Sharapova looks to be struggling on court against 31 year old Greta Arn.

1:26pm Sluggish Sharapova (Arn/Sharapova 6-2)

After an obsession from parts of the media about Sharapova's dreams this week, she's had anything but a dream start to her quarter-final dropping the first set to WTA 'journey-woman' Greta Arn. I missed the second half of the set while at the Wickmayer press conference but ONE News' own Simon Dallow confirmed she's 'looking sluggish.'

I imagine there's a few Sharapova fans sitting on tickets for the next two days feeling a bit nervous about now.

Wickmayer was understandably happy with her performance today and reckons after a few more practices serving in the Auckland win she'll be ready for tomorrow's semi.

In other news, after discussion with the other media here I'm unsure if the ringing mentioned in my last post is in fact a cow bell but I will continue my investigations.

2:16pm Sharapova over (Arn/Sharapova 6-2 7-5)

What an upset. The top seed and probably the biggest name in the tournament's history has been knocked out by little known Hungarian Greta Arn. A disappointment to fans I'm sure.

Arn spoke well after the match telling the crowd when she feels like a little girl whose dream's come true, never mind that she's seven years Sharapova's senior!

Time for a press conference, I'm told she won't hang around long.

2:29pm Arn explained

Well I've done the research and it would appear this is the biggest win of Greta Arn's 15 year career. The highest ranked player she'd beaten previously was world No. 28 Alona Bondarenko. In her decade and a half as a pro she's had one WTA title win and won around $US500,000. Her highest ranking is 81 and she didn't achieve that until last year.

Still no word on whether Sharapova will speak to the media.

3:30pm Arn explained part two (Peng/Watson 6-4)

After attending the press conferences of both the players I feel a bit more enlightened about the unknown underdog Greta Arn. Turns out Arn turned pro when she was 17 but a few years into her career a dodgy agent "put her in the red numbers" as she put it, forcing her out of tennis for three years as she had to find a day job - in the media of all industries.

Sharapova was more circumspect when speaking to the press but answered all the questions put to her ina her utterly professional manner. She says she's unsure of her plans between now and the start of the Australian Open next Monday but a wildcard at an event in Sydney looks likely.

http://tvnz.co.nz/tennis-asb-classic...y-four-3993178

MARIA Career GrandSlam SHARAPOVA

NewShoulderPlz. is offline View My Blog!