TennisForum.com - View Single Post - ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

View Single Post

Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 09:16 AM   #1221
country flag MashaFanForever

MashaFanForever MashaFanForever MashaFanForever MashaFanForever MashaFanForever MashaFanForever MashaFanForever MashaFanForever MashaFanForever MashaFanForever MashaFanForever
Re: ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Croft View Post
Last year she played against Venus and Caroline (in exhibitions) and won, but lost in the first round of the AO anyway. It's better to have some real competitive matches than exhibition matches IMO, no matter what the competition is, so, I for one Iím thrilled she chose to play Auckland.

Seeing as the only bigger tournament before the AO is Sydney the week before you can't blame Maria for playing a MM event. That's also something she only does when there aren't any bigger events to play, maybe except Memphis last year, which she won by the way.

Her ranking isn't so low because she's played a couple of MM events, her ranking is low because she hasn't performed better in the important events. Although I have to say her Grand Slam draws have been unfortunate to say the least.

PS: Almost no player is able to play that many tournaments without being tired anymore, not just Maria. The ones that do either lose early in every single one, or are players that will face a burnout after a couple of years.

Maybe you are misinformed. Hong Kong is not the reason she lost in the 1st round of the Australian Open last year. She played Hong Kong in 2008, and lost in the final to Venus and then won the Australian Open right after. Why she lost in the 1st round of the Australian Open is another subject altogether. My point is she can't keep on doing well in these international tournaments. As a three-time grand slam winner, former World No. 1 she is expected to go the biggest events and go deep in them, not suffer one embarrasing loss after another.
MashaFanForever is offline View My Blog!