Big West considering adding Hawaii, UC San Diego (Div. 2) and Cal St. Bakersfield.
Big West commissioner Dennis Farrell said UH was one of three schools that submitted information to be considered for membership by yesterday's deadline. He said the other two were Cal State Bakersfield and UC San Diego.
The Big West Council is scheduled to meet Dec. 8 to review the files and may make a recommendation to the board of directors at that time.
Star Advertiser article
Hawaii's top 3 did pretty well against Stanford in a 11/24/10 exibition.
1. No. 21 Mallory Burdette def. Barbara Pinterova 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
2. Kristie Ahn def. Magdalena Ploch 6-0, 4-6, 6-2
3. Nicole Gibbs def. Katarina Poljakova 6-3, 6-3
- Add 5 star Jaime Pawid to that line-up next season and Hawaii has a strong 1-4 singles.
- But Pinterova and Ploch graduates before Hawaii can join the Big West in 2012-13.
- However Jamie Pawid may be a contender for the Big West NCAA singles auto bid for 3 years.
- UCSD last season was ranked in the top 15 of Div. 2 in women's tennis.
- IMO it will just take a short time until UCSD surpasses CSF & UCR in women's tennis if they are added to the Big West.
- UCSD would even give UCI some competition for San Diego recruits.
I say add both Hawaii and UCSD.