TennisForum.com - View Single Post - US Open Results

Thread: US Open Results
View Single Post

Old Sep 25th, 2010, 03:56 AM   #167
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US Open Singles results

Quote:
There is something very seriously wrong with this draw. I found published reports from several newspapers on September 1, 1972, claiming that Nancy Richey Gunter beat Marilyn Aschner in the first round 6-0, 6-1. Jeanne Evert beat Raquel Giscafre in the first round, i.e., did not lose in that round. Margaret Court beat Pat Walkden Pretorius in the first round 6-0, 6-1, not Janice Metcalf. Etcetra.
Sharp eye AR!

It is fixed. There was a "preliminary round" before the first round! Confusing to say the least. It certainly wasn't a qualifying round, as it included two seeds (Court and Gunter) and followed that quarter of the draw. There were actually 3 rounds of qualies-with one qualifier being Pam Austin Tracy's older sister.

Now it is complete thanks to you.

I added the Prelim Round (I notice there was a Prelim round in 1973 also) and put in a [Q] symbol for the six qualifiers. I also added a couple of first names "Tam" for O'Shaughnesy "Sue" for Vinton and corrected the spelling for Vicki Berner.

Last edited by Rollo : Sep 25th, 2010 at 04:04 AM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote