TennisForum.com - View Single Post - ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

View Single Post

Old Sep 5th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #219
country flag ~MashyOwnThemAll

~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold
Re: ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

Quote:
Q. In your career, what moment are you most proud of in terms of mental toughness and coming through? Where do you think you have shown your toughness the most, including coming back?

MARIA SHARAPOVA:

Um, I mean, obviously coming back was one of the toughest things for me, I mean, off the court. Because I had so many expectations and so many others had expectations of me being able to come back at a certain period of time, and I was never ready. I would go on the court, we'd set a date of when I can start hitting the ball and hitting a few serves, and I'd hit forehands and backhands and I was fine. I tried to hit a serve, and I couldn't. I was still in a lot of pain. That was even after the rehab and after surgery. Coming back from that and setting another timetable for yourself and doing it over and over again until, you know, I slowly found myself working myself up to hitting 10 to 15 serves, 20 serves, and being able to do that without pain and really being patient, and, you know, going back to Phoenix over and over again for months on end, I mean, that, I think that took a lot. You know, because I think I could easily at this stage in my career just say, you know, I have won Grand Slams; I have been there and done that. But I never felt like I had enough. I always felt like I could be a better tennis player. Even if at that point I couldn't go out and hit a serve, I just physically just couldn't. Um, but starting from when I was young, I think winning Wimbledon at 17, the reason I'm looking back and being proud of that is because I was so fearless, you know, throughout the whole tournament. I mean, I was happy to be in the semifinals, I was down and out against Davenport. I was already booking my plane ticket when the rain delay hit. And then pulling that out, going into the final, you know, against someone that has so much experience and was so much physically stronger than I was at that point, so much more experienced, went out there and really just didn't really care about the situation; I just played tennis. So I guess that, yeah.

Love you
~MashyOwnThemAll is offline View My Blog!