TennisForum.com - View Single Post - ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

View Single Post

Old Aug 19th, 2010, 04:12 AM   #110
country flag gc-spurs

gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

Just for good vibes...

http://tennis.fanhouse.com/2010/08/1...a-steps-it-up/

Quote:
o Knox Bardeen
o Tennis Writer

Maria Sharapova

I'm not talking about looks when I say that Maria Sharapova is hot!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not discounting her beauty. I'd just rather talk about how she's dominating the U.S. Open Series right now.

Sharapova has made it to the finals of both U.S. Open Series tournaments that she has entered. Now, she lost both, but the fact that she's playing deep into tournaments again shows me that she's almost ready to reemerge in Flushing next month at the final Grand Slam event of the season.

Along the way over Sharapova's two weeks of play, she's beaten two top 10 players two more in the top 20. Her game is sizzling right now.

As for the rest of the power rankings this week, I've only considered the U.S. Open Series matches, nothing else. That's a bit of a stretch from the normal full-season view I usually consider, but that's OK, I'm an American and I'm supposed to give hard-court tennis special attention.

So, before you comment and belittle me for not including either of the Williams sisters, remember that they haven't played any hard-court events lately.

* 1. Maria Sharapova | Record: 29-8 | Previous Power Ranking: 7 | WTA: 12
She hasn't won a tournament yet, but Sharapova is playing extremely well right now. She was defeated in the finals at Stanford by Victoria Azarenka and then, once again, in the finals by Kim Clijsters in Cincinnati.

* 2. Agnieszka Radwanska | Record: 28-14 | Previous Power Ranking: 8 | WTA: 9
Radwanska is benefiting from playing a lot this hard-court season as well. She made it to the semis in Stanford before losing to Maria Sharapova, and then lost in the finals in San Diego to Svetlana Kuznetsova in three sets. Once again, Sharapova did her in. This time in Cincinnati.

* 3. Kim Clijsters | Record: 26-5 | Previously Unranked | WTA: 4
Clijsters has only played once in the U.S. Open Series, but the one entry was a winner. She beat Sharapova to win in Cincinnati and only dropped one set along the way.

* 4. Victoria Azarenka | Record: 30-14 | Previous Power Ranking: 6 | WTA: 13
Sure, she lost in the first round of the Cincinnati tournament to Ana Ivanovic, but she started the U.S. Open Series off for the women by winning in Stanford. To do that she had to beat Marion Bartoli, Samantha Stosur and Sharapova.

* 5. Flavia Pennetta | Record: 38-17 | Previously Unranked | WTA: 20
The Italian has been impressive all summer and has not been ousted from a tournament before the quarterfinal round since Wimbledon. Pennetta has impressively defeated Hantuchova and Kelybanova in straight sets at the Rogers Cup. She also defeated Samantha Stosur earlier this summer in San Diego.

* 6. Svetlana Kuznetsova | Record: 18-12 | Previously Unranked | WTA: 16
The two-time Grand Slam champion won in San Diego, defeating Pennetta and Radwanska on her way to the title. Although she slipped up against Sharapova in Cincinnati last week, she handled the rising Russian star, Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, in first round action at the Rogers Cup.

* 7. Samantha Stosur | Record: 34-12 | Previous Power Ranking: 3 | WTA: 6
Since losing in her second match at San Diego, the Australian has been out of action. The French Open finalist will look to use her strong kick serve to her advantage on the hard court in Flushing Meadows where she should prosper.

* 8. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova | Record: 33-15 | Previously Unranked | WTA: 22
The 19-year-old Russian is rising up the ranks on the WTA tour and creating havoc for players on the tour. She rattled off nine straight wins – including a title at the Istanbul Cup -- before losing to compatriot Maria Sharapova in the semifinal round at Cincinnati.

* 9. Daniela Hantuchova | Record: 24-17 | Previously Unranked | WTA: 28
Hantuchova's form has been in question of late, and she has not been able to find any groove to her game. What looked like a promising summer in San Diego, has turned disastrous by exiting in the first round of her last two tournaments in Cincinnati and Montreal.

* 10. Ana Ivanovic | Record: 16-13 | Previously Unranked | WTA: 39
Ivanovic, who did not receive a wild card to play in Montreal, injured her foot and had to retire just as she was regaining her form in Cincinnati. She impressively paved her way through Cincinnati before having to retire in the semifinal round at Cincinnati to Kim Clijsters. Her injury may keep her out of the U.S. Open.
In one person's opinion
Makes me excited for when the Spurs are on top of the power rankings

Bring on all the pretenders. Someday, WE WILL BE REMEMBERED
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliversmith View Post
oudin is a great player she already beat maria i expect to do the same now
btw whos bolivia smith?
gc-spurs is offline View My Blog!