TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

View Single Post

Old Aug 14th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #1007
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Some nice comments from the other top players of 99:

Quote:
Q. Hear about Steffi Graf's retirement; what are your thoughts on that? You of all people should have a good idea of what she has gone through over the years.

PETE SAMPRAS: Well, I haven't experienced the injuries she has had. She had -- she has also been out there longer than I have. She has been playing since she was 14. After coming back from an injury and having won 22 Grand Slam titles, I mean, I can kind of sympathize what she is going through because when you are on top it is not easy to maintain it and girls are getting younger and better and she has had an unbelievable career; obviously one of the best ever. Did it with a lot of class. She went out and got the job done and she made her racket do her talking. I have always looked up to her, the way she approached the game. She worked very hard and is a great athlete. But she -- nothing to be ashamed of after winning 22 Grand Slams. That is not easy.
Quote:
Q. ...the men's Tour and women's Tour are different, but is she the kind of player that has had so much success that even the men are looking at her and saying wow, this is an incredible career....

GUSTAVO KUERTEN: Yeah, I think it was at least for me when I was starting, she was already one of the tops with 17, 16 she was getting so much results like fortunate we all have to see that it is maybe one or two persons in the world can do this or fortunate really appreciate the way she played for all these years. I think she was one of the players who has style too. I like the way she plays. We know how hard it is to do all these things.
XTN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote