TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Coaching changes - NCAA Div. 1

View Single Post

Old Aug 10th, 2010, 12:56 AM   #51
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Southern Illinois Edwardsville new coach Jason Coomer

SIUE Tennis Serves Up New Leadership

Department Working On Future Assistant for Programs

July 22, 2010

EDWARDSVILLE, ILL. - Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Director of Athletics Dr. Brad Hewitt has announced a new leader for the Cougar women's and men's tennis programs. After the unexpected resignation of the previous coach and the critical time of his departure, Dr. Hewitt believes it is necessary to stabilize the program with an individual possessing not only significant tennis experience but also the understanding of and commitment to building a program for future Division I competition. Jason Coomer, SIUE Assistant Athletic Director for Sales and Marketing, will take over as the head coach for both programs.

"We are very pleased that Jason will be taking on this additional role in the department. His leadership will keep us on a clear path, and he will serve as an excellent mentor as we continue to play stronger schedules in Division I," Hewitt said. "Jason's demonstrated work ethic and commitment to the Department's future gives me great confidence that he will be successful in both roles."

Coomer was team captain of a very successful collegiate tennis program at the University of Southern Indiana where he earned a bachelor's in social science education in 2001. He also served as an assistant coach for the Screaming Eagles for a season, helping his alma mater to an appearance in the NCAA Tournament.

As a player, Coomer helped USI to back-to-back Great Lakes Valley Conference titles in 1999 and 2000, three straight regular season crowns from 1998 to 2000, and an NCAA Tournament appearance in 2000.

After earning a bachelor's degree from USI in 2001, he moved on to Ohio State University where he received a master's degree in sports management in 2003. During his tenure at OSU, Coomer served as the Assistant Director of Championships for the 2002 Big Ten Tennis Championships.

Coomer spent eight summers at the Wayland Academy Nike Tennis Camps working with junior players from around the country. He worked under the direction of United States Tennis Hall of Fame member John Powless.

Additionally, the department has spoken with several female tennis coaches with extensive Division I collegiate playing experience, and we are working to develop a second position to assist Coomer. It is our hope to bring this to fruition in the near future.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote