TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Coaching changes - NCAA Div. 1

View Single Post

Old Jul 24th, 2010, 08:07 AM   #44
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Wake Forest head coach resigns

July 23, 2010

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Chad Skorupka, who spent the past five seasons as the head women's tennis coach at Wake Forest, is resigning from his position, Director of Athletics Ron Wellman confirmed on Friday.

"We hate to see Chad go, as he did an outstanding job leading our women's tennis program," said Senior Associate Athletic Director Barbara Walker. "Chad always brought in outstanding student-athletes, and he leaves the program in great shape."

Skorupka came to Wake Forest after four seasons at the helm of the Yale women's tennis program. A former assistant coach with the Deacons, he led Wake to four NCAA Tournament appearances from 2006-09.

"I want to thank Ron Wellman and Barbara Walker for the opportunity to come back and coach at Wake Forest the past five years,' said Skorupka. "It has been a great experience for me, my family, and the fantastic student-athletes I was able to work with. I wish the team, Wake Forest, and all the the incredible people at Wake Forest all the best in the future."

Skorupka took over a Deacon program that hadn't posted a winning season in three years and immediately led it to a 14-10 record and the second round of the 2006 NCAA Tournament. He also led Wake Forest to the NCAA second round in 2007, garnering a program-best No. 14 national ranking along the way.

Skorupka led the Deacons to NCAA Tournament berths in 2008 and 2009 before failing to qualify last season.

Overall, Skorupka posted a 61-59 (.508) record in five seasons at Wake Forest and a 119-83 (.589) record in nine seasons as a head coach. In ACC play, Skorupka's teams went 23-32 (.418) and advanced to the ACC Tournament quarterfinals four times.

Skorupka also spent two seasons as assistant coach at Wake Forest from 1999-2001. He helped the Deacon women's tennis squad advance to the NCAA Tournament quarterfinals in 2000.

Skorupka, a 1994 graduate of Penn State, began his collegiate coaching career as an assistant at his alma mater from 1996-99.

A national search for a replacement will begin immediately.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote