TennisForum.com - View Single Post - "Rabitt"-The Wendy Turnbull Thread

View Single Post

Old Jul 24th, 2010, 05:06 AM   #35
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future
Re: "Rabitt"-The Wendy Turnbull Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Hi Louloubelle

My favorite Turnbull quote came from a match in 1977 (?) when she beat Virginia Wade in Atlanta.

By the sound of things Wendy and Virginia were having a post-match press copnference side by side. Wade was making her excuses (something like "Wendy played well, but I was below form, etc).

Turnbull then piped up: (and I'm paraphrasing) "Virginia doesn't believe she should ever lose to anybody, including God"

Hey Rollo Wendy certainly had a wicked sense of humour. I remember during a doubles win that herself and Chris Evert had, a reporter asked her which Lloyd she preferred to play doubles with, Chris or John. And Im paraphrasing too... I think Wendy said John because he's bum is better or something similar

HanaFanGA - Pam certainly said too much after that US match. She also said that Wendy won because she was just so lucky with net cords. Hana during that round also got stuck into Carling Bassett when she lost to her and said that because Carling is so rich, she can play without pressure.... I think the No. 3 and 4 players of that time were a bit insulted that they didnt get their god given right of being in the semi final.