TennisForum.com - View Single Post - All Time Rankings 1884-2013

View Single Post

Old Jun 30th, 2010, 07:26 AM   #31
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Re: Womens All Time Rankings 1884-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris whiteside View Post
Rightly or wrongly the professional matches as part of the McCall Group were not regarded as relevant in terms of h2hs.

I take it that the overall score was 29-9 (for BJ, of course!)

That would leave the professional scores as 11-2 for BJ but it has always been hard to get access to their professional results and it would seem to me that there are some missing. Would they have played as few as 13 times plus some would have been professional sets?

I know Jones won at Madison Square Garden and Fort Worth so that makes the 2 wins but I have also read in several sources that Jones won twice during a tour of France so that immediately makes me doubt the figures - other than that they were heavily in BJ's favour.
ChrisI think here as well we are talking how matches played out and what the scores were. BJK herself always has said that Ann was one of the toughest opponents she ever played, fighting never giving in etc. I suppose the professional results should be included but there would be so many missing that it seems that it is best to stick to official tournaments. If you cant include all of the pro results it seems a little inconsistent to include any really. Just know from my own perspective that seeing them play against each other in the Wimbledon and Wembley finals of 69 show that Jones was more than a match for BJK. She really was her main rival after Court, post Bueno and pre Goolagong and Evert.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote