TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Not letting Henin/Murray type behaviour get to you.

View Single Post

Old Jun 20th, 2010, 05:58 AM   #28
country flag kickserve

kickserve is a name known to all kickserve is a name known to all kickserve is a name known to all kickserve is a name known to all kickserve is a name known to all kickserve is a name known to all kickserve is a name known to all kickserve is a name known to all kickserve is a name known to all kickserve is a name known to all kickserve is a name known to all
Re: Not letting Henin/Murray type behaviour get to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
Anyone have any experience or tips to not let it affect you?

I lost a match last weekend, purely because my opponent pissed me off so much. I was much ebtter, and the shotmaker in the match, but all his 'come ons' at my UEs pissed me off so much I choked the first (unusal for me) and was so pissed off I lost the second easily. I won the third after regrouping but let him into my head again. Goddamn annoying it was.
Take it as a learning experience. Focus on yourself. THe moment you are focusing on a players grunts, gesticulations, cheers, you have removed focus from your game and strategy. Keep your focus in the moment. Do NOT get angry! Very few tennis players can actually channel anger into playing better tennis. The opposite is the norm for most players. The best thing you can do at this point, is to make your opponent start making errors rather than you hitting winners. This style of play gives you more margin for consistency and will also frustrate your opponent.
Very hard to yell 'c'mon when you just hit a forehand down the line wide.

PS
Also, the better player is the player that won. It is irritating when people say I was the better player but my opponent won. Your strokes may look prettier but that doesn't make you the more effective player.
kickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote