TennisForum.com - View Single Post - junri namigata cheering thread

View Single Post

Old Jun 11th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #196
country flag Rising Sun

Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future
Re: junri namigata cheering thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANADA8 View Post
I have to question the mentality of the Japanese players. Surely the whole point of playing tennis is to get your ranking up so that you can play in Grandslams/big tournaments? After failing to qualify for the French Open, why don't the likes of Junri and Tomoko travel to England and play in Nottingham, Birmingham and Eastbourne?
Their ranking would have given them direct entry into Nottingham and they would have been high enough to get into the Birmingham qualies and they would have got useful practice on grass prior to Wimbledon qualies. Yet they chose to fly back to Japan to play in a ITF event on carpet!!?!!!
Ironically a couple of years ago when a Japanese player upset a seed at Wimbledon, Pat Cash said he thought Japanese girls would do better at Wimbledon than they had, as they hit the ball flat with little top spin, so their shots are more effective on the grass.
I think you have to question the wisdom of their Federation when the only top players they have is a Kumiko Date who is'nt getting any younger and Ayumi Morita who's career has stalled and seems to be stuck around 60 to 80 in the rankings!
Federation has nothing or little to do with the development of the players.

Each player is responsible for her own development, club, coach, etc

I definitely agree on the scheduling part. Kurumi Nara has definitely played a shitty schedule. With better scheduling, she could be closer to the Top 100...
Rising Sun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote