TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Dorothy Round Little - One of Britain's greatest champions

View Single Post

Old May 27th, 2010, 06:34 AM   #15
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Re: Dorothy Round Little - One of Britain's greatest champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Here is film of Round beating Scriven at the 1934 British Hard Courts at Bournemouth. It's a real shame Round didn't contest the French, as peggy Scriven won it twice-the last time in 1934-weeks after this very match!

The capacity crowd illustrates how popualr these women were in their day.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=4943
RolloThanks so much for that link and yes isnt it impressive the crowds that they generated, I would imagine particularly in the case of Round who was a national heroine by this stage. I think it is a shame she didnt win the French as it would have cemented her even more as one of the GOAT British players. As for Scriven, for someone who never received a lesson in her life and didnt start to play till she was mid or late teens it is an astonishing achievement that she won the French twice. Only her relative lack of success at Wimbledon denied her a bigger profile here in Britain.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote