TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Kimiko Date and Naoko Sawamatsu

View Single Post

Old May 27th, 2010, 07:16 AM   #38
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Re: Kimiko Date and Naoko Sawamatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommystar View Post
Hi Guys!

Watching today Kimiko's excellent win against the very nearvy and wierd Safina, came to my mind when did I see last Date play? My answer is Wimby SF vs. Steffi 1996. (Back in those days Eurosport hardly showed women's tennis, and I didn't have other satellite, so I missed her San Diego win and her farewell at Masters.)
I did not relly liked her in her first career, I was extremely pissed off beating Mary at that Wimbledon QF, I'd die to see a Graf-Pierce match on the Centre Court, and of course she scored that win against my beloved Gaby at Lipton 95 from 1-6 1-5... denying a Graf-Sabatini final.
But watcher her today was very unique, played so clam and strait, looked so nice and easy, was really great to watch, made fool with her normal shot from Safina many times, brought back the feeling of the good old days. (And her name already was on the very same draw where was Chris Evert's. )
She also changed a lot, I remember she didn't speak English at all, and always was so emotionless, but she showed today everything.

So my question for you: When did you see Kimiko play last before today's match?
Good post and I have to say I was delighted and thrilled that she beat Safina. Date is a remarkable player and someone who is so unique to watch. I wasnt that bothered by her in the first career but now I support her all the way. I didnt actually see the match with Safina, but I can imagine that she lured Dinara into mistakes and constructed rallies that baffled her. I have seen Date play a few times since her comeback, notably when she played a brilliant first few sets and almost beat Wozniaki at Wimbledon last year. As for the 90s, I cant really remember if the last time I saw her play would have been in the Federation Cup match when Japan famously beat Germany. Date had that momentous win over Graf but the year escapes me at the moment. I think that could have been the last time before the last few years that I saw her play??
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote