TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Maria's Best Clay Performances!

View Single Post

Old May 21st, 2010, 11:27 PM   #26
country flag pokey camp

pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maria's Best Clay Performances!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summon View Post
Beating Schnyder in 2007 at Roland Garros, beating her with one arm pretty much with such a crazy score was quite something special.
Same goes for v. Safina at 2008 RG. I don't mind that loss at all in retrospect. It was an amazing performance considering the circumstances. One armed, on her worst surface, the entire crowd against her and she still fought like hell and nearly won.

I'd add v. Serena at 2008 Charleston to that list too for the same reasons: Taking Serena to 3 sets on her worst surface with a torn rotator cuff. (A very curious result in retrospect. )

I hated both of those loses at the time, but after the withdrawal from RC and knowing what we know now? Those are two of my favorite Maria matches ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugobosstachini View Post
I voted Schnyder Rome 2007 but RG 2007 against Patty was just great. These 2 matches are just plain illustration of the fighting competitive spirit she has even on her worst ever surface.
Clay really does bring out the best of Maria's fighting spirit. That's why I don't mind the clay season wrt Maria, we usually get at least one classic Fighterpova match a year from it. And that’s why I never rule out the possibility of her eventually winning RG.

My fav: RG 2006 v. Washington.

First Sunday drama. Mashona played amazing. Mashona's dad. The ankle. Three match points. The pigeons. That shot at 6-5, 30-30: "If anyone could, she could."

This:

And the call by Sam Smith: "May well she beat her chest... She was wonder girl out here today."

I'd add Petrova at 2009 RG too. Even though Petrova is a basket case, esp. v. Masha, I still love that match. Nadia didn't blink until the very end with that DF and missed easy FH put away.
pokey camp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote