TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Pick-A-Winner (PAW) #478 - Roland Garros - 2010 | Complete. Congrats to bionic71!

View Single Post

Old May 20th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #2
country flag twight6

twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pick-A-Winner (PAW) #478 - Roland Garros - 2010

PREVIEW

This year in PAW has been as unpredictable (pardon the pun!) as ever, with 24 different winners in 25 events! Going into the second grand slam of the year, anybody's guess at the winner is as good as mine, but perhaps I can supply a few favorites.

Dementieva_Dude
A dedicated PAW player and manager, D_Dude is the only player with more than one title this year, with one win coming at Bogota and the other just last week at Madrid. D_Dude also had a top ten finish the week before Madrid in Stuttgart, as well as a 4th place finish in Sydney back in January. He had a dissapointing finish at the first grand slam, however, ending up in 52nd place and not even making a final pick. He is the 13th seed here, and looks to continue his rise up the PAW rankings and break into the top ten with a strong finish here.

Kovalchuk
Of course, as the only player to win a grand slam this year, Kovalchuk must be given an edge over the rest of the field, with an idea of what it takes to win at a such a large stage. Starting the year out at #41, Kovalchuk has made a huge jump up the PAW rankings, entering here at #7 and the 6th seed. In addition to the win in Melbourne, Kovalchuk has finished in the top ten three other times, at Acapulco (#10), Marbella (#3), and just a couple weeks ago at Stuttgart (#8).

Chris 84
As the top seed, Chris 84 should never be overlooked, no matter what the event. Especially, it seems, on the clay courts, as he finished in the top ten at four different clay court tournaments this year (#5 at Acapulco, #9 at Ponte Vedra Beach, #2 at Charleston) including a win at the beginning of this month in Stuttgart. Combine that with three other top 10 finishes (at Brisbane, Sydney, and Dubai), and that explains how Chris has been the most consistent PAW player this year and comes in as the top ranked player in the world. Unfortunately, he found little success at the Australian Open, coming in at #35 and only managing 14 correct picks. Will he find better success at Roland Garros?? We will see!

sd3300123
Sd3300123 comes into Roland Garros with a runner-up last week in Warsaw which was really the only light in a very week 2010. After being ranked #4 at Roland Garros and finishing outside the top 30, sd3300123 continued to slide down the rankings, and now finds himself barely inside the top 25 for this event. After his very strong 10-3 162 point 2nd place finish this week, though, he definitely should not be counted out, especially as a veteran who knows how to win. In fact, he fell just short of the title here in 2008, finishing runner-up to Buitenzorg. If he can keep his form from last week, expect him to make his mark in Paris.

In the Zone
In the Zone, who struggled in the first half of the year (finishing in only 25th at Australia), has managed to rebound in the last few months, managing to secure the 2nd seed (#3 ranking) here. He has finished in the top ten 5 times, all since the end of March, including a win at Fes less than a month ago (other top ten finishes were #6 at Miami, #5 at Ponte Vedre Beach, #9 at Charleston, and #2 at Estoril). He has really found his form in the clay court season, and looks to claim the #1 spot in the rankings. As the defending runner-up, though, he will have a lot of pressure to defend those 700 points.

With ^bibi^, the defending champion, absent from the event, as well as the #2 player in the world Louis Cyphre, and the recent insecurity of the WTA Tour, the tournament is as wide open as ever. One thing is for certain, you can expect some tough picking and tough competition here at the second grand slam of 2010. Good luck to everyone!
...then I realized how much I suck.
I used to update this signature, once in a while...
...then I realized no one actually reads it.

Last edited by twight6 : May 22nd, 2010 at 03:10 PM.
twight6 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote