TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Your tennis results?!

View Single Post

Old May 20th, 2010, 06:19 AM   #376
country flag 1handedbackhand

1handedbackhand is just really nice 1handedbackhand is just really nice 1handedbackhand is just really nice 1handedbackhand is just really nice 1handedbackhand is just really nice 1handedbackhand is just really nice 1handedbackhand is just really nice 1handedbackhand is just really nice 1handedbackhand is just really nice 1handedbackhand is just really nice 1handedbackhand is just really nice
Re: Your tennis results?!

OMG guys, I'm in the final of a Men's Open tournament.

It's called the 'Your Name Here' tournament sponsored by Babolat. Basically this is the first year and if you win, the tournament is named after you the next year. How freaking cool is that!!

Anyhow I won my SF match tonight 2-6, 7-5, 6-2

I wasn't hitting through the first serve in the first set so I wasn't putting any pressure on my opponent. Also his slice backhand really bothered me. I made many errors trying to aggressively return that shot. The first 4 games I was hitting my shots but then after that nothing went in.

2nd set, I slowed my game down. I went back to my less aggressive game. Lots of deep topspin, longer rallies, working the point. Eventually I started to time my return of his backhand slice much better. Also I hit one perfect first serve and that was all it took for me to start grooving the serve.

It was still a HUGE battle. LOTS of long duece games. I served for it at 5-4 and choked
My opponent was very vocal with his fist pumps and come ons on the simplest of my errors. At one point he yelled come on when he thought he had hit a winner and I got to it and hit my own winner Then I gave him the Serena staredown

Anyway battled it out to 6-5 and after like 4 dueces and 2 set points wasted I finally closed it out. I was so tight in the 2nd set I vowed to bring it in the 3rd.

3rd set, I went back to my aggressive game, which was a gamble. I had gotten the timing of my shots, esp my 1 handed backhand so I felt I could hit with a lot more pace now. It paid off. Lots of big hitting and smart play (if I may say so myself) and I was up 5-2. No choking this time and I closed it out at love.

I saw the guy I play in the final. Since it is an Open tournament anyone of any level can play. This guy has to be at least a 5.0
His serve is It is not the flat serve I am worried about. Those are cake. It was his kick serve.
It was bouncing above his opponents head.
If I'm timing the ball well, I don't have a problem taking it on the rise at shoulder level, hitting a topspin drive deep thus neutralising the serve.
I hope I can do this tomorrow.
Either way I am very proud of winning my SF match and can't wait to play my final.
1handedbackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote