TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Chris Evert Thread

View Single Post

Old Apr 30th, 2010, 07:43 AM   #1651
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumarokov-Elston View Post
But it could have been a WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY if ............

Or ....... who knows what would have happened if ..........
Ah, the WouldaCouldaShoulda game. Maybe, one day I'll play. Or visit WouldaCouldaShouldaLand

A LOT of things in this world SHOULD be different than they are.
A LOT of things in this world COULD be different than they are.

But that's not the way life works.

But kudos to Ms Evert, for finding a way to make clever forays into the net against the seeming unbeatable Graf in early 1989 (didn't their VS Florida match happen around the time of the SI cover with Graf and the headline "Unbeatable" or something like that?). And for knowing she could pick on the backhand mercilessly, but then whip her own forehand cross court to catch Steffi off guard?!

Chris had to play her best (and still hope Graf was a little off, which she was in that match) to have a chance. And while I still feel the physical advantage Graf had is what made the final difference, it's Evert's melting of her own polar ice cap, her Ice Maiden steely nerves that perhaps contributed to the final outcome? Holding one's nerves is something a player at any age can control.

Tennis can be a cruel sport. Sometimes it can be the difference of just a few points that determines a winner.

Still amazing to think that over a career that spanned just about 2 decades, Evert won 90% of her matches!
DennisFitz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote