TennisForum.com - View Single Post - R.I.P. Georgina Clark

View Single Post

Old Apr 14th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #15
country flag raquel

raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: R.I.P. Georgina Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceboy View Post
One last article about about Georgina and her views on that frenetic 1999 French Open final

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=390770
"In the third game of the second set the Swiss contested a call, which she had every right to do on clay, and Anne Lasserre dutifully descended from her umpire's chair to check. "Unfortunately she took her eye off the mark and picked the wrong one," said Clark. "It's something that is still used in umpiring schools. The ball had been in and Hingis was right."

Well, as much as I wanted Graf to win that final, I did always think Hingis was right and that the ball was in. It's crazy how much that final changed on that point but Hingis got too focused on one shot. She was a set and break up and then she mentally lost focus - and who worse to do that to, than Steffi?

Despite the fact she had a lot of experience in winning Slams by then, Hingis was still young. If she had been even 2 or 3 years older she might not have went so far to challenge that one shot - but then you remember Hingis was one of the oldest minds around even at 16/17. It's her "what could have been" moment. Graf took the advantage and won again and brilliantly. Nice to see though Georgina agrees that the ball was in. Hingis should have walked away.... but this one moment changed the whole match.

RIP Georgina
Thanks again spiceboy
raquel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote