TennisForum.com - View Single Post - R.I.P. Georgina Clark

View Single Post

Old Apr 13th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #11
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Re: R.I.P. Georgina Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceboy View Post

LONDON, UK - It is with deep sadness that the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour announces the passing of Georgina Clark, who retired from the Tour in 2005 as VP of European Operations and served the Tour with distinction for 24 years.

Clark joined the Tour in 1981 as a Tour Referee and as her experience with the Tour progressed so did the esteem and respect she received from tournament staff, players and the media alike. Among her many achievements, she opened the doors for the Tour in Europe, having Princess Diana officially open the Tour's first European office in 1988. A mother of five children, warm, engaging but with an iron will, Clark was imbued with the pioneer spirit of the Tour and was the first woman to umpire a final at Wimbledon. She was also a strong amateur player and coach and a successful officer in many roles for the Tour.

"Georgina's love for tennis shone through her life and career," said Stacey Allaster, Chairman & CEO of the Tour. "All those who worked with Georgina were privileged to be part of her passion and dedication to the women's game.

"She will be missed."

Georgina was the first female umpire at a Wimbledon singles final, at the 1984 final between Navratilova and Evert.

Steffi Graf, Princess Diana and Georgina.

Georgina and Lee Jackson.

Georgina with the Sanchez family and Jean Nachand.

Georgina presented Dominique Monami flowers and a framed photo during the Belgian's retirement ceremony in 2000.

Georgina and colleagues from the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour in New York City in 2003.

Georgina (top right) with former players and colleagues from the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour.
I remember her very well. That is sad she is dead, for all she brought to womens tennis I salute and say farewell to her.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote