TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Courting Controversy

View Single Post

Old Feb 19th, 2010, 11:20 PM   #9
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Courting Controversy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee
It just seems to me that some members talk about that one particular aspect more than anything else. If Margaret Court had passed away in 1990, it wouldn't be an issue at all. But now something she's said on perhaps two or three occasions overwhelms her entire tennis playing career.
Posted by Nelslus

*She's made these comments on WAY more than two or three occasions.

*I'd like you to make these same statements, say, to an African-American individual, if her comments had been virulently racist. And, good luck with that.

*Please also note that more times than not, if a person is prejudiced against one group, they have disdain for other minority groups- whether or not they're as public about their other prejudices.

*The thing is- being homophobic is still far too often the "safe" prejudice- as can be seen at least in American movies and TV shows. So, at least until this changes, some of us will continue to speak up. For some of us, we "talk about that one particular aspect more than anything else" because this is about our lives and well-being.

*No one in their right mind would question that Margaret belongs in any GOAT discussion. Otherwise, Mrs. Court has made her homophobic bed- so, I have no problem with her having to lie in it. Fine with me if someone wants to start a "Margaret but ONLY tennis discussions allowed" thread. Otherwise, I can't lose sleep for Mrs. Court over how often folks choose to bring up Mrs. Court's homphobia, here or anywhere. You want folks to focus on your accomplishments, tennis or otherwise? Maybe consider not being hateful then.