TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Jane Lehane O'Neill - Underappreciated or Over-rated

View Single Post

Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 11:51 AM   #47
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold
Re: Jane Lehane O'Neill - Underappreciated or Over-rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee View Post
Yeah I've seen the Lehane thread before and know (like the Aussie) that you don't really rate her much.

I wouldn't say that's exactly right.

She was a good player of a certain standard and unquestionably a top 10er but where I disagree with some others is that I don't believe she was really top 5 material - she did have some wins over higher ranked players but not consistently. Bizarrely when she returned to the game after the injury of 1964 in 1967 she had a 4-0 h2h over Francoise Durr who was world #3 that year.

In 1959 she was regarded as the next big Australian on the world stage and great things were expected of her. In my opinion it could very well be that she was affected adversely psychologically when within a very short space of time Margaret Smith stean-rollered past her and then a year or so after that Lesley Turner established herself among the world's top 4 players pushing Jan down to the Australian #3.