TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Jane Lehane O'Neill - Underappreciated or Over-rated

View Single Post

Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 08:47 PM   #46
country flag GeeTee

GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future
Re: Jane Lehane O'Neill - Underappreciated or Over-rated

Yeah I've seen the Lehane thread before and know (like the Aussie) that you don't really rate her much.

If this record was applied to a player of today, would anyone think it was that bad, really??

Age AO RG WI US WR
16 R1 -- -- -- --
17 SF -- -- -- --
18 FI QF -- QF 8
19 FI R4 R3 QF --
20 FI QF QF R3 --
21 FI QF R3 -- 7
22 SF QF -- -- 10
23 -- -- -- -- --
24 R2 -- -- -- --
25 R3 R3 R4 -- --

I think she was a solid top 10 player for most of the early 60s. The world rankers of the time seemed to concur with the ranking positions she got, so there was no doubt at the time about her credentials.

Her game was limited and that prevented her from rising higher, as did injuries at the wrong time. Margaret Court thought Lehane was playing at her best ever standard just before 1963 Fed Cup/Wimbledon and that her injury cost Australia the Cup.

Jan's losses in overseas Slams - particularly before her layoff - were usually only to in-form top players:

French
60 lost to Maria Bueno
61 lost to Pilar Barril - wtf!
62 lost to Ann Haydon
63 lost to finalist Haydon-Jones
64 lost to Schultze
--
67 lost to Pat Walkden

Wimbledon
61 lost to 62 champ Karen Hantze
62 lost to runner-up Vera Sukova
63 retired injured to Darlene Hard
64 lost to Norma Baylon (injured requiring surgery)
--
67 upset 4th seeded Durr, lost to SF-ist Harter

US
60 lost to champion Darlene Hard
61 lost to finalist Ann Haydon
62 lost to finalist Darlene Hard

Last edited by GeeTee : Feb 2nd, 2010 at 08:53 PM.
GeeTee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote