TennisForum.com - View Single Post - 2008-09 verbals, high interest & transfers

View Single Post

Old Dec 29th, 2009, 12:16 AM   #118
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Re: 2008-09 recruiting - verbals & high interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post

PROPOSED: Change tennis rule to require first enrollment within 6 months of high school graduation. So, if you grad in Spring 2010... you have to start no later than January 2011. You get one extra semester (to decide or clean up academic shortfalls). If you delay longer, you lose a year of eligibility and have to sit a year in residency.

This is designed to cut down the:

• the int'l kids (and a growing number of US kids) trying a year of pro tennis and then doubling back to college

or the

• "I didn't get the offer Top 20 offer I wanted so I'm gonna try the pro's while I wait for a better offer" gambit
This proposed rule will have a huge effect on the big fish of foreign recruits. I would say 90% of international players that have a WTA ranking inside the top 800 have taken a year off to try the pros.

Plus some of the most elite players, those with WTA rankings inside the top 500, are those that couldn't make the pros after 2 years and are doubling back to college tennis.

So if this proposed rule passes it will essentially eliminate the 21 year old freshman or 22 year old sophomore like Cal's Jana Juricova and Mari Andersson.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote