TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Jane Lehane O'Neill - Underappreciated or Over-rated

View Single Post

Old Oct 13th, 2009, 06:42 AM   #42
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jane Lehane O'Neill - Underappreciated or Over-rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
Craig. I know it is a shock that she dominated Durr that year. I know what you mean, Durr really did struggle far more against the great baseline players. Even late in her career when she could barely get a game from Evert she was still able to defeat or threaten Navratilova. It is funny because you would have thought her unorthodox style would have unsettled rythmic players like Evert and Jones but this seldom seemed to be the case??
I think the other baseliners had that little bit more power than Frankie - and so her slower game was easier for a solid consistent baseliner to handle. But I do imagine the slow junk balls and lobs she threw in often would have unsettled most of the S&V players. So I can see how this played out. As a baseliner I don't have much trouble with other junk ball type players.... so I can see why Evert dominated her. And I see a lot of S&V players struggling more against junk ball types.

Mind you, I would love to watch every Durr match no matter who she played so I am easily pleased in that regard. Pity there isn't any footage around of Lehane though. I would have liked to have seen some of her in action.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote