TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Jane Lehane O'Neill - Underappreciated or Over-rated

View Single Post

Old Oct 12th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #39
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Re: Jane Lehane O'Neill - Underappreciated or Over-rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris whiteside View Post
Hope things are going well with you, P/F.

That would be 1967 when she played the international circuit in an attempt to make a comeback.

She lost in the 3r of the Australian Championships to Gail Sherrif in 3 sets and had a reasonable Caribbean circuit. Although she lost 5 times to Ann Jones she took her to 3 sets in a couple of those matches.

She had a good tournament at Wimbledon where she beat Francoise Durr before bowing out in 4r to Kathy Harter.

Although she had a quite a few defeats to lesser players she had wins over Mary-Ann Eisel, Judy Tegart, Lesley Turner and Pat Walkden as well as Frankie.

Rather bizarrely considering that was the year Frankie won the French and German Champs and was ranked #3 in the world for it, Jan had a 4-0 winning h2h over her.

Jan would have finished somewhere around the mid-teens for the year. She won an invitation event in Dublin and the Turkish Championships. I'm not sure if she played outside Australia from 1968 onwards.
Chris. In the circumstances Lehane had a really good 67 by the sound of it.To beat Durr in all their meetings was quite an achievement. I take it none of the victories over Durr were on clay??
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote