TennisForum.com - View Single Post - News and updates about Victoria Azarenka

View Single Post

Old Aug 20th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #12
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News and updates about Victoria Azarenka

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrounder View Post

A FM on the Vika forum kindly translated their post-RG doubles final press conference for us

Commentator:
Today doubles’ final took place during the gentlemen’s matches, that’s why not so many managed to watch it. So, a Belarussian-Russian duet Viktoria Azarenka and Elena Vesnina versus a Spanish pair Anabel Medina Garrigues and Virginia Ruano Pascual, who is 35 years ols, actually she will be 36 soon and she announced that it is her last tournament, she’s not coming here any more. She has 8 Grand Slams won in doubles and the girls came here to defend the title. Naturally, Viktoria and Lena don’t have the same level of team-work, though they have already tried playing together and they reached the final in Amelia Island, so that is their 19th match together. Moreover, Vika started worrying from the very beginning, throwing her racket, but Lena tried to support her and they finished the match in good mood – they were smiling and having fun. Besides, the girls’ mothers were present at the match and of course they wanted to look good girls

Q: First of all, congratulation to you, girls, because the final of such a tournament is a great event. First of all, who offered playing doubles, who was the initiator?
Lena : I was. Vera Zvonareva was injured in Charleston, and I had no permanent partner, so I offered Vika to play in pair in Rome. So originally we were going to play in Rome only. But when we got to know that Vera wouldn’t be able to play in Rolan Garros, we decided to go on.
Vika: It was me who offered Lena to play together in Madrid, and then in Rolan Garros (laughing).
Q: Vika, you have already won some tournaments, are disappointed by such a final?
Vika: Of course not, this final is an achievement, that’s my second final in doubles and I hope when it’s the third time we will be able to win. That was a great achievement.
Q: Are you and Vika best friends?
Lena: Well yes, we have been communicating for a long time, and have been getting on really good together lately and we have much in common.
Q: Don’t you fear to quarrel during the match and lose you friendship?
Vika: I don’t think you should pay attention to such things, we both played singles and everything was fine.
Lena: I totally agree with Vika, when you play doubles you must support each other, and quarreling is no good. For example, I am get up on the wrong side of the bed since the morning (smiles) and today we both have the same problem (laughing).
Q: By the way, today in the end of the match you seemed to begin playing, at the same time Soderling was playing and the score was 1:4, and after that he won the set and it looked like you could also win, why couldn’t you?
Vika: Well, maybe, but our today’s play wouldn’t let us hope for anything…
Lena: If at 3:0 we could have at least do 3:1, we thought that Anabel could falter at the key moment, but we didn’t manage to brace ourselves properly and finish the games where we had chances.
Q: Congratulations. Are you going to play together at Wimbledon??
V/L: We shall see.

Wickmayer. Venus. Ivanovic. Cirstea. Halep.
Azarenka. Krajicek. Flipkens. Pironkova. Begu.
Lisicki. Paszek. Vesnina. Pavlyuchenkova. Cornet.
Stephens. Oudin. King. Vandeweghe. McHale.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
hellas719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote