TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Coaching changes - NCAA Div. 1

View Single Post

Old Aug 20th, 2009, 06:43 AM   #18
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Miami (Ohio) hires new coach David Emery

David Emery Named Head Tennis Coach at Miami

Former Illinois assistant takes over RedHawks program

Aug. 17, 2009

OXFORD, Ohio - David Emery, an assistant coach at Illinois for the past three seasons, has been named Head Women's Tennis Coach at Miami University, Director of Athletics Brad Bates announced today. He replaces Howard Joffe, who resigned last month to become head coach at Maryland.

Emery joined the Fighting Illini in August of 2006 and helped turn around the program. After back-to-back 10th-place finishes in the Big Ten the first two seasons, Illinois returned to the NCAA Tournament in 2008, ending a three-year absence. This past season, the Illini posted a 19-8 record - the program's most wins since 1991 - finished fourth in the conference and advanced to the second round of the NCAA's.

"I want to thank Brad and the athletic administration for believing in me enough to give me this amazing opportunity," Emery said. "Miami University is one of the elite public universities in the country and has the framework in place to compete with the great teams in the nation. It will be my mission to win MAC Championships and propel Miami to an NCAA contender."

At Illinois, he was involved in all aspects of the program with a focus on recruiting. The most recent Illinois signing class was ranked fifth in the nation by tennisrecruiting.net. He served as an instructor and as director of the Illini Summer camp over the last three years and was named Midwest Regional Assistant Coach of the Year for 2009 by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association.

"David Emery is highly regarded as a rising star by leaders in the national tennis community and he was exceptionally impressive throughout our search process," Bates said. "He brings a wealth of experience as a student, teacher, player, scholar and coach to our program and we are very excited to have him join the Miami family."

A native of Fairfax, Va., Emery played at Virginia Tech from 2001-03 before transferring to James Madison, where he finished his final two years of eligibility. At James Madison, Emery played at the No. 1 singles position and received first team All-Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) in 2005, and second team All-CAA in 2004. Emery also served as team captain from 2003-05.

In 2005-06, Emery served as the assistant coach at JMU. With the Dukes, Emery helped the doubles tandem of Jesse Tarr and John Snead to an 8-2 record and third team All-CAA honors. Tarr also grabbed third team All-CAA in singles. In his first year on the staff, Emery helped the Dukes turn their record around, helping the team to a 13-13 season record, double the previous season's win total. As an assistant coach at James Madison, Emery's duties included assisting with team practice, team lifting and team travel. Most recently, Emery worked with Katie Ruckert, who is an established singles player on the pro tour, helping her reach a world ranking of 412.

Emery is a 2005 graduate of James Madison with a degree in sports management and a minor in business.

What Others are saying about Coach David Emery

Illinois Head Coach Michelle Dasso

"Dave had a tremendous impact on the Illini progam and there is no doubt in my mind he will do the same at Miami. The players he has worked with have a great deal of respect for the hard work and relationships he has fostered. He will be greatly missed by the whole Illini family, but will make an immediate positive impact on his new program."
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote