TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Bettina Bunge

Thread: Bettina Bunge
View Single Post

Old Aug 11th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #46
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Re: Bettina Bunge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisFitz View Post
Just looking at year end rankings, I am absolutely dumbfounded that for 3 consecutive years Bunge ranked in the top 10! OK, I could see 1982 when she recahed the Wimbledon semis (I believe the only time she ever got a Slam quarter) and she won 3 tournaments.

But in 1981 she didn't win a single tournament, and she reached other 2 finals. In the majors her best results were R16 at the US Open (winning all of 1 game vs Evert) and R16 at the French, winning 4 games vs Hana). 1981 was a really competitive year, and players like Jausovec, Ruzici, Barker and Marsikova weren't in the top 10. In 1983 Bunge won one tournament (and no other finals) and won one match in the majors, and she ranked #7. Number 7!!??!

Further proof how ludicrous the WTA rankings were back then!
I agree, but are you sure she was top ten in 1981? I thought she peaked circa 12 or 13?
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote