TennisForum.com - View Single Post - time to hire up a coach?

View Single Post

Old Aug 10th, 2009, 06:37 AM   #66
country flag MashaFanatic

MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice
Re: time to hire up a coach?

The thing that bothers me (much more a longer time that since Maria comeback) is the lack of technical and tactical answers that Joyce have for Maria. That she needs him for psychological reasons, i can understand. But, when your player is making DF after DF and the only thing you are able to say is that you think that the opponent will fall apart, hum.

I have always been deeply convinced, even when she played stratospheric tennis like during AO 2008, that it was much more because of her tremendous will and her personal talent than because of her coach. With a better coach (on the technical and tactical approach, someone like Stefanki), she would have exploited better her potential. And we see the limits of it now. Not that i want her to have a new coach, but maybe just open her technical and tactical horizon, cause, she's not here for one year but at least 4 or 5 : a more versatil game is needed (and a plan B and a plan C when the A doesn't work, which she has not for the moment). I would have said exactly the same thing even if she has won the tournament.

I also think that she has a confidence problem : she seems persuaded to be unable to change gameplan during a match, so if she makes errors, she'll hit harder next time, hoping to make a winner. I'm pretty sure she would have the talent to have more than one gameplan, but i'm not sure her team wants her to go on this road. They seems to say (from what i understood from people who were watching her playing) that she only has to hit flat shots harder to win, not doing slice or spins, and i don't think that it's the perfect tactic to be a player who has the intention to last many years. Ihave to say that i'm a little angry against her training entourage : they are limiting her talent much more than the opposite with their one-dimensional approach of her game.

Last edited by MashaFanatic : Aug 10th, 2009 at 06:48 AM.
MashaFanatic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote