TennisForum.com - View Single Post - time to hire up a coach?

View Single Post

Old Aug 7th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #65
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: time to hire up a coach?

Look at maria's history the last year or so. As her game deteriorated after the spectacular start of 2008,
she determined that the medical advice she had been getting was not going to have good long term results.

Eventually, she opted for the surgery after trying a couple months off for rehab. We all suffered with her
to one degree or another through the long months of recovery. Warsaw might have been a good place to
return to action, and after the loss to Bondarenko, she performed reasonably well in Paris. She did ok in the tournament before Wimbledon, but her loss at Wimbledon was a disappointment. She had a rough wakeup call against Venus, but 4 or 5 points would have made it a far different match.

Yesterday, against Bondarenko again, we thought we were going to see what we had been hoping for---a take charge match against a good player. There was a sinking feeling as she blew 4 games in a row to lose the first set. A lot of players are not mentally tough enough to leave something like that behind---but maria came out blazing 6-0, and finished strongly----her third match this week, including a victories over two pretty tough opponents. She must be in really good physical shape to be able to wear them down at the end.

We will see if she runs out of gas again---I don't think she will---she keeps progressing.

I do not mind all the double faults---she is developing a new serve that has to work---as she perfects the basic serve, she will become more accurate with it.

Maria does not need a kick in the pants---she does that to herself. She needs to keep things in perspective--which I think she has---and just keep getting tougher. She is very mature---and I think what she has been doing
is making good progress from a very difficult situation---not only having to get match tough again---but become match tough with a serve re-engineered to make her game last longer.
nelsondan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote