TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Tamira Paszek Articles and Interviews Thread

View Single Post

Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 03:45 PM   #21
country flag Kipling
Kaptain of Kool

Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tamira Paszek News and Articles Thread

To call something like that "doping", I would hope that whoever is responsible for investigating would be required to show that she did it purposefully and with the intent to gain a competitive advantage--and that whatever was added was in fact a performance enhancing substance. Otherwise, it is totally ludicrous. And how practical is it that in seeking medical treatment for a painful injury you should have to 1) apply for this "theraputic remedy" exemption to the doping rules and 2) wait until that is approved before getting treatment. Athletes have short shelf lives. They earn a living by being on the court, not in bed, and they have to do what they can to get healthy and back to action as soon as posssible.

To put it in perspective, what if she had a rare blood type and had decided to give blood to store in case of a later emergency--people do this and their blood is kept in medical facilities until needed by them. If she later has an accident and gets a transfusion with this blood, can it really be classified as doping under applicable rules, as stated by Hans Holdhaus in the quote above?

The very fact that she is the one who reported it undermines any suggestion that she is a villain or a cheat, or had an improper motive, I would think.

AravaneCaravan's tennis blog: http://thearavanecaravan.wordpress.com
'
Kipling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote