TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Rosebud - Rosie Casals

View Single Post

Old Jul 19th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #14
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rosebud - Rosie Casals

I remember Bud Collins in the commentary booth once referring to Rosebud as the greatest shotmaker women's tennis had ever seen. Dick "Oh, my!" Enberg was really taken aback by Collins' claim and seemed to have no idea what being a shotmaker meant. He thought that Collins was claiming that Casals had better groundstrokes than any other woman player in history.
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote