TennisForum.com - View Single Post - time to hire up a coach?

View Single Post

Old Jul 1st, 2009, 04:58 PM   #42
country flag johnoo

johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: time to hire up a coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharapower View Post
Summon, like Rerun has mentioned, compared to other players, who experienced the same kind of long injury-break, for example Kim Clijsters, Maria proves to be much more struggling to get back into form. There are benchmarks out there and Maria's not doing great for that matter, neither is she doing bad, just so-so.
I'm not saying at all that there's anything catastrophic in what we saw so far and I have no doubt that new coach or not, things will go improving. The question is how fast are things going to improve and if it's going all the way to coming back as GS-winner/World #1 material.
There are two aspects to mental toughness: fighting spirit and confidence. The first one is intact but the second one is not really there so far. That's where a coach can help a lot if s/he is the right person for the right player.
I'm still not totally convinced maria is mentally motivated which is the only reason I think a new member of the coaching staff could help.The second round defeat at wimbledon was like deja vu from 2008 in that she was caught on the back foot all the time,fair enough tennis strokes might not be there but,as has been pointed out,she could have been working flat out on her fitness.It's still odd she came back at the FO and not the USO because she now has a lenthly wait untill she plays again.USO is going to very interesting to see where maria really is tennis wise.
johnoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote