TennisForum.com - View Single Post - time to hire up a coach?

View Single Post

Old Jun 26th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #18
country flag xan

xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: time to hire up a coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summon View Post
I think some of you guys need to accept something, Maria has never been someone who wins 2/3 slams a year. The reason is that ever since 2004 (Zurich) she has so often had shoulder troubles, every year on the tour since then actually. Her body is just very fragile. Maybe now she can finally play a few years without a serious injury and that will make a difference.

But some of you are acting like she hould have won a "Sharapova Slam" by now, when that was just never even a real option.

I think she had done amazing so far with all the set backs.
I think the biggest problem for some fans is that like someone mentioned here, you were expecting Maria to come back like Justine or Serena did, she didn't. Doesn't mean anything.

Trying to explain or solve the situation by getting a new coach or changing her game would be IMO really bad at the moment.
I didn't say Maria needed to change her whole game. I sad she needs some more weapons, and tactical advice/support.

A lot of the problems of this match are not new. Even with the old serve, she got broken too often (except for those stretches when she was playing at an "unbeatable level" like Australia 08) She needs to have a better variety and tactical repertoire of serves, so it isn't always the big flat serve to the corner, and she has a secure second serve that does damage but doesn't risk DFing on crucial points.

And I disagree - Maria should (based on her talent and consistency) have had more slam wins by now. She HAS been unlucky - often meeting players like Mauresmo, Clijsters etc. at the very top of their game - always getting the "on form" Williams sister - and of course this persistent injury. Even here at wimby, she got a player playing her lifetime best match, and if she'd won, the hardest possible 3rd round opponent in Petrova. But Venus has got just as "fragile" a body as Maria.

I think the strategic element has not been there as much as it should be. She needs to be able to securely cruise through the early rounds of slams, and this requires having tactics and the range of strokes to unsettle and demoralise the "uppity" early-rounds challengers, and keep the lid on them, while remaining calm and in control. She shouldn't have to rely on going all-out for huge winners to defeat these people. Most of the other seeds at Wimbledon are winning these early round matches easily without exerting a great deal of energy. Maria needs to learn those tactics and get more new input.

Official Hitman of the Maria Mafia

Last edited by xan : Jun 26th, 2009 at 01:20 PM.
xan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote