TennisForum.com - View Single Post - time to hire up a coach?

View Single Post

Old Jun 26th, 2009, 03:39 AM   #14
country flag Sharapower

Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future
Re: time to hire up a coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaitaBaby View Post
And don't get me started on Maria's supervision. I think she's proven time and again that she knows exactly what she's doing and what needs to be done out there.
I don't quite agree with this (see my post above). Yes, when she won USO and AO, she knew exactly what to do and succeeded at executing it, but the point is that these moments are too rare.
For me, Maria 1.0 (2004-2008) played tennis like jazzmen play music: a lot of improvisation that can be absolutely gorgeous when she's inspired but crappy when she's not. Now we have Maria 2.0: grown-up, recovering from a career-threatening injury, having a woman's private life and not anymore Daddy's girl; and, like all other players, as age advances the daring and explosiveness will decrease, replaced by more thoughtful tactics, more patience and so on.
Normally that process is a progressive one, palyers don't drastically change overnight. But, in the specific case of Maria, the 9 months break was disruptive so actually she's facing two challenges in the same time: getting back to competitive form AND constructing the bases of her grown-up tennis. That's two very tough tasks and that's why a coach that's got proven experience of the very top could help tremendously.
I'm not saying she should dump Michael Joyce, absolutely not. But I don't see what harm it would do, for a few months, to get a different insight by someone who's out of the box as a complement. I'm thinking about someone like Lundgren or Paul Anacone... Or Richard Williams (j/k ).
Sharapower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote