TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Andrew's TV-reports (Sharapova v Shvedova 3r TV-report added)

View Single Post

Old Jun 8th, 2009, 12:56 AM   #17
country flag andrewbroad
Team WTAworld

andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Andrew's report for Day 15

=============
ROLAND GARROS (Paris, France; red clay; Major)
============= http://www.rolandgarros.com/
Contents
--------

1. Photos
2. Girls' Singles: Final
3. Men's Singles: Final
4. More reports to come!

---------
1. Photos
---------

Dominika Cibulková and other players:
http://www.tennis.com/features/galle...chSemisFinals/

Kristina Mladenović:
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/pl...wta315616.html
http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/...s&p=mladenovic

Search Getty Images for "mladenovic"

------------------------
2. Girls' Singles: Final (Sunday 7th June 2009)
------------------------

+ KRISTINA MLADENOVIĆ [9] d. Daria Gavrilova, 6-3 6-2

Kristina is quite good-looking - tall and well-built, with long, blonde hair - but what is it with French people and missing front teeth? First Yannick Noah, then Fabrice Santoro, and now Kristina!

Articles
--------

Mladenović wins French junior-title (AP)
>>>
No.9-seeded Kristina Mladenović of France won the girls' title by beating Daria Gavrilova of Russia 6-3 6-2.

The 5'11" Mladenović won every set in six rounds, and hit serves at up to 124 mph, matching the fastest serve in the women's draw: by Venus Williams.

"I spent a wonderful week here," said Mladenović, 16. "I have the trophy in my hands; it's just happiness for me."

Mladenović won the juniors' title after losing in the first round of the women's draw. She plans to play juniors at Wimbledon.
<<<

Mladenović sweeps to girls' title (Eric Frosio, www.rolandgarros.com)
>>>
France's Kristina Mladenović cruised to victory in the Girls' Singles final, dominating Daria Gavrilova of Russia 6-3 6-2.

16-year-old Mladenović became the 14th French player to win the juniors' title at the French Open, as she dispatched her opponent in a little over an hour on Suzanne Lenglen court in front of a sizeable crowd. The French girl won the tournament with flair, not dropping a single set along the way, and the former European under-14 champion plays an exciting brand of aggressive game.

The match was a contrast in styles, with Mladenović leaning on her strong serve and forehand, while Gavrilova played more defensively, varying the height and angles of the ball. The 15-year-old Russian - coached by Patrick Mouratoglou - was too passive, however, and let her opponent dictate too many points.

'Kiki' - as Mladenović is known - did not have it all her own way in the final, however, and found herself two games down before she was barely out of the locker-room. Boosted by the enthusiastic support of her fan-club - mostly made up of members of her brother's football-team - Mladenović got her focus back to break twice and take the first set 6-3 in 33 minutes.

Mladenović was 2-1 up in the second set when Gavrilova fumbled a smash and crashed to her knees. The trainer strapped up her painful knee, but the Russian could not drag herself back into contention – Mladenović controlled play, and again broke twice to sail to victory, bagging the second set 6-2.

The French girl celebrated her first big win by blowing kisses to her friends and family in the stands, and then climbed up to kiss Georges Goven her coach, and Dragan her father. After lifting her trophy, she kept on top of her emotions just long enough to thank her loved ones. "Thank you to everyone who supported me!" she smiled, "and special thanks to the person in navy blue with his head down [Goven]. I'm so happy to have won this tournament!"

Already ranked No.338 in the world, Mladenović is hoping to follow in her the footsteps of her idols Elena Dementieva and Mario Ančić by breaking into the top 100 by the end of the season.

Her attacking game and powerful serve (clocked at 200 km/h in her first-round match in the main draw against Magdaléna Rybáriková) will play integral parts in helping her dream come true, and perhaps she will even follow in the footsteps of Amélie Mauresmo or Alizé Cornet, both of whom won the juniors here at Roland Garros.
<<<

-----------------------
3. Men's Singles: Final (Sunday 7th June 2009)
-----------------------

+ ROGER FEDERER [2] d. ROBIN SÖDERLING [23], 6-1 7-6 (7/1) 6-4

This win completes Federer's Career Grand Slam, and proves that the greatest male tennis-player of all time is... Rafael Nadal.

Before today, Pete Sampras was the greatest male: he won 14 Majors (but never the French Open), and was utterly dominant in his era: one that included Andre Agassi, Jim Courier, and a succession of anonymous French Open champions who did well to make a quarter-final in any other Major.

Federer joins Sampras on 14 Majors, but has a greater variety of Majors than Sampras. One could also argue that Federer has kept the likes of Lleyton Hewitt and Andy Roddick from becoming much greater Major champions than they've been.

But as great as Federer has been, Nadal is mightier still. He may only have won 6 Majors so far, but he has beaten Federer in EACH AND EVERY ONE of those Majors, whereas Federer has only ever beaten Nadal in two Majors, winning his other 12 when Nadal was either very young or lost before Federer had to face him. Nadal has proved time and again that he is better than Federer: he leads their overall head to head 13:7.

Nadal needs only a US Open title to complete his own Career /Golden/ Grand Slam, and only his bad knees will stop him winning 8 more Majors to catch up with Federer.

Alarming breach of security
---------------------------

There was an alarming incident with Söderling at 1-6 *1-2 (15/0), when Jimmy Jump burst onto court carrying a hat and a flag. He went right up to Federer and tried to put the hat on his head for about ten seconds before the security-guards arrived.

Have they learned nothing from 30th April 1993, when Monica Seles was stabbed on court at Hamburg?

------------------------
4. More reports to come!
------------------------

I'll be posting my full TV-reports for members of my Eternal Fanship the week before Wimbledon:
* 2r: Maria Sharapova v Nadia Petrova (ETA 16th June 2009)
* 2r: Lucie Šafářová v Venus Williams (ETA 18th June 2009)
* 4r: Maria Sharapova v Li,Na (ETA 20th June 2009)

So don't forget to check back here!

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
My Eternal Fanship: 1. Monica Seles; 2. Мария Шарапова (‘Maria Sharapova’); 3. Daniela Hantuchová; 4. Jelena Dokić; 5. Iva Majoli; 6. Karina Habšudová; 7. Вера Звонарёва (‘Vera Zvonarëva’); 8. Nicole Vaidišová; 9. Анна Чакветадзе (‘Anna Chakvetadze’); 10. Lucie Šafářová; 11. Ирода Туляганова (‘Iroda Tulyaganova’); 12. Magdaléna Rybáriková; 13. Sabine Lisicki

Last edited by andrewbroad : Jun 8th, 2009 at 01:03 AM. Reason: minor corrections
andrewbroad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote