TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Glta

Thread: Glta
View Single Post

Old Apr 12th, 2009, 12:50 AM   #14
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is anyone playing on GLTA tour?

I play the Sydney events - we have two major tournaments a year. They used to form part of the GLTA tour but we decided to pull them from the official international schedule because whenever we went to play an overseas event we were disadvantaged by the grading.

Also try to play the Gay Gaymes every 4 years which are held in a different city just like the Olympics. In 2002 I won the Over 35 Mixed Gold Medal with Chris O'Neil (former Aussie Open Champion of 1978) and made the QFs of the Doubles. My good friend won the Open Singles and Open Doubles and together we have won some other events eg. London International Open doubles (and he won singles) etc. Over 1000 people played in the tennis events at the 2002 Sydney Gay Gaymes, so it is hugely popular and it is not a stereotypical gay event as many would think - most of the players probably look and play just like your average club and tournament player, but thankfully you do get a few more colourful and eccentric players to make it more fun and interesting!

We have our own Gay and Lesbian tour in Sydney and we have a few 'straight' players competing with us as well. And the standard is very good ... with some of the players competing at the highest levels in the Sydney tennis events as well eg. State grade etc. Some are regularly selected to represent Australia in the teams at the World Veteran's championships etc (these are for all players worldwide over 35yo). So it's a very high standard but also there are all grades catered for in the Sydney G&L tour eg. A, B, C and D Grades.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote