TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Casey Dellacqua cheering thread - Volume 1

View Single Post

Old Mar 18th, 2009, 01:11 AM   #5554
country flag OZTENNIS

OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute
Casey Dellacqua - News, Articles and Photos

Thought I'd start a proper thread so we don't have to post articles in makeshift tournament threads
=====================================
Dellacqua targets US Open - and pain free future
  • Tim Clarke
  • March 4, 2009
Casey Dellacqua looks on during day two of the Fed Cup. Photo: Paul Kane

Perth tennis star Casey Dellacqua is targeting the US Open in August as her comeback from shoulder surgery.
Dellacqua underwent the last-resort operation in Melbourne last Monday after the pain and discomfort she has been feeling for a year became too much after battling through the Hopman Cup, the Fed Cup and the Australian Open.
After a tournament in Dubai, where the Woodvale-born favourite was thrashed by her doubles partner Francesca Schiavone 6-1 6-1, Dellacqua decided enough was enough and submitted to the procedure to fix a posterior labral tear.
Speaking to WAtoday.com.au before returning to Perth, Dellacqua said the pain from the shoulder injury while playing and in between matches had become almost unbearable, and had not responded to any remedial treatments.
After a recuperation in WA, a rehab program in Melbourne will aim to have her comeback on target for the US Open.
"I am going to get back by about August, so it is a good six months before I can get back on tour. I want to make sure that I do all that properly," Dellacqua said.
"It started at the French Open last year and it got to the point where I had tried everything, I have done all my rehab, I have taken time off and nothing was really helping.
"It was always the last option but it was something that needed to be done - I was in a lot of pain.
"I could get out there and play but it was fairly achy and I was getting a lot of discomfort whilst playing and also after I finished playing.
"I went to Dubai and it got to the point where I could not keep going.
"I think a lot of athletes play with some kind of niggle but the constant pain is not that much fun."
Dellacqua's reality check after the highs of last season has seen her slump from her personal best world ranking of 39 to 83 prior to her injury.
A disappointing Hopman Cup and Australian Open were followed by some success by playing her part in Australia's triumph at the Fed Cup zonals at Burswood's State Tennis Centre.
But she said missing the upcoming playoff against Switzerland and the French Open and Wimbledon are major blows.
"I wanted to keep playing and I wanted to play throughout the summer, play Fed Cup for Australia," Dellacqua said.
"It just was not improving, and if I can get back by August, finish the year off really strong and be back out there playing that would be really great.
"In two weeks I will start my rehab, getting my shoulder back working again. I donít know what the process is but I am in a sling for a few more weeks to let it settle.
"I am not going to rush it, I am going to take my time, and make sure that I do everything I need to do to be definitely ready to go."
The 24 year-old said getting the operation done now was short term pain for potential long term gain.
"I am definitely glad I had it done, because I could not have kept going the way I was," Dellacqua said.
"But for the long term and the longevity of my career - I am only 24 - to get it done now and be able to play the rest of the career out is something that was a priority for me.
"It is going to be tough, it is going to be a long rehab process but definitely one I needed to do - hopefully I will be fresh when I come back out there.
"I have got a lot more Wimbledons and French Opens to come."

==========================
At least she is being sensible.