TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Big West - 2008 Fall Tournaments

View Single Post

Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:32 PM   #7
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Re: Big West - 2008 Fall Tournaments

Wow looks like you've discovered the "More" link for the smilies.

Does women's tennis even rank the conferences? If so please show me where to find this information.

1.Even if they have conference rankings this is not like men's basketball where the committee can define their own criteria to selecting the at-large berths. In tennis besides an exception or two, a lower ranked team will not get in over a higher ranked team. They've been doing it strictly by the rankings.

2. Tennis rankings do not work like the baseball or basketball RPI formula where your opponent's opponents are factored in. In tennis it's about your win-loss record and how many other ranked teams you've beaten. The year UCI was eligible for an at-large berth I carefully studied how the rankings worked.

3. In tennis the top 45 ranked teams are almost always locks to get at-large berths. In basketball you can have an RPI of 25 but have your bubble burst because your record against the top 50 wasn't good enough or whatever bogus excuses the selection committee comes up with to get more BCS teams in. Unlike football or basketball, tennis is not biased in favor of the BCS schools. That's why a mid-major school like Pepperdine men can win a national title. A mid-major is not going to win a national title in football or men's hoops.

4. Bottom line is that in tennis conference rankings don't account for anything. However individual team rankings account for everything.

Last edited by gouci : Sep 22nd, 2008 at 10:40 PM.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote