TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Julie Coin !

Thread: Julie Coin !
View Single Post

Old Aug 29th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #17
country flag janko

janko has a reputation beyond repute janko has a reputation beyond repute janko has a reputation beyond repute janko has a reputation beyond repute janko has a reputation beyond repute janko has a reputation beyond repute janko has a reputation beyond repute janko has a reputation beyond repute janko has a reputation beyond repute janko has a reputation beyond repute janko has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Julie Coin !

Julie also had a page in the New York Times! Here is the article :

This Qualifies as Big: Top-Seeded Ivanovic Falls

By JOSHUA ROBINSON
Published: August 28, 2008

A shriek rang out in Arthur Ashe Stadium. By the time it was over, the underdog-loving fans at the United States Open had drowned Ana Ivanovic out. For the 34th time Thursday afternoon, she had hit an unforced error. And for the first time in the open era, a No. 1 women’s seed was out of the United States Open before the third round.

Julie Coin, a 25-year-old qualifier from France, needed three tries at match point to finally overcome Ivanovic, the top-ranked player in the world, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3, in 1 hour 57 minutes.

Asked on the court if she expected this, Coin could muster only a buoyant, “No.”

“I don’t realize yet that I beat the No. 1 player in the world,” she said during her postmatch news conference. “I don’t realize yet that I played on the big court. I don’t know how I’m going to sleep tonight.”

Ranked 187 spots below Ivanovic, Coin was barely playing on the same tour. She has never won a WTA title because she spends most of her time on the Challenger tour. She had never qualified for the main singles draw of a Grand Slam event until this United States Open. Her record in singles this year, after Thursday’s upset, stands at 19-18. Coming into the Open, her career winnings amounted to $99,563. When Ivanovic won the French Open in June, she took home $1.39 million.

A couple of weeks ago, Coin said, she thought about quitting the game altogether at the end of the season. “I was asking myself, ‘Am I really made to play tennis?’ ” she said. “Am I going to make the top 100? It’s not worth playing tennis if you don’t make the top 100.”

The daughter of two team handball players from Amiens, outside of Paris, Coin (pronounced kweh) has been playing in the United States since she followed her then boyfriend, a tennis player named Clément Reix, to Clemson, where there were already two French players. She was an all-American and made it to the semifinals of the N.C.A.A. tournament in 2004.

Since then, she has kicked around lesser-known events, making her own travel arrangements and carrying her own bags, while developing the powerful serve that carried her over Ivanovic on Thursday.

“I think she was nervous,” said Coin, who won 39 of 47 points on her first serve. “More than I was.”

After they traded the first two sets, Coin went up a break in the third and found herself at 40-30, leading by 5-3. That moment, she said during the French portion of her news conference, was when reality seeped in.

She double-faulted.

It was her fourth of the afternoon, but those were more than canceled out by Ivanovic’s eight double faults. Ivanovic was unrecognizable from the player who won on clay at Roland Garros. But as the top seed at Wimbledon, she lost in the third round, and she has been bothered by a thumb injury for most of the summer hardcourt season.

After Thursday’s defeat, her ranking will probably look different. Six women, including Jelena Jankovic and Serena Williams, entered the Open with a chance to be No. 1, and their chances got better with Ivanovic’s early exit. Williams, in the first night match Thursday, crushed Elena Vesnina of Russia, 6-1, 6-1, to book her spot in the third round.

“This kind of loss I had today is just incentive to work harder,” Ivanovic said. “To go back on the court and to keep working hard and practicing and improving.”

After pulling out of the Olympic singles tournament, where she was the top seed, Ivanovic came to Flushing Meadows under a blanket of questions about her thumb. After developing a row of blisters on it in twice-a-day training sessions, she made a few subtle adjustments that resulted in a fresh injury. She could not hit a ball without pain until a couple of days before the Open.

But on Thursday she played down the impact of the injury saying that the only reason she might have been nervous was that she had never seen Coin play. “So I didn’t know what to expect,” she said.

Ivanovic could hardly be blamed. Even Amélie Mauresmo, who grew up in the same region as Coin and will now face her in the third round, knew little about her. In recent days, the French new media had even written that Mauresmo would not know what Coin looked like. So this morning, Mauresmo said after beating Kaia Kanepi, she sought her out. “Are you the one I don’t recognize?” Mauresmo said she asked Coin.

The French news media made sure that Coin, whose name means “corner” in French, immediately became a household name there. On its Web site, the sports daily L’Equipe had already flashed the headline, “Un Coin de Paradis” — “A Corner of Heaven.”
janko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote