TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Latin/South American women in Tennis

View Single Post

Old Jun 13th, 2008, 11:11 PM   #6
country flag Sonf@
yo soy darks

Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Latin/South American women in Tennis

oh my fucking god.

i'm reading a biography on maria weiss and i'm just

she was born on the 29th of January of 1918 and was given the name of Maria Luisa Terán.

Apparently she was forced to quit Argentina after the militar revolution. The argentinian federation tried to get her away from international competitions, but the itf refused to remove her from the draws so she exiled herself in Spain at the end of 1955.

Her husband, heraldo weiss, was argentinian aswell. She had met him during a trip on train in 1940. He was the Argentinian Davis Cup captain, so it's proven that she didn't marry a spanish guy but got the the passport after coming here to start up a new life.

She came back to argentina in 1959 but couldn't compete officially because her rivals wouldn't show up so she had to retire.

On the 8th of December of 1984, Maria Weiss threw herself from the seventh floor of a building in Mar del Plata. She was only 66 and it hadn't even passed a month since her mother's death.

The article mentions that she played a huge number of tournaments/matches (the article says that they were tournaments but i think it's just too much). She won 832 of 1100 matches/tournament/whatever between singles, doubles and mixed doubles as well as the Wimbledon plate.

I'm not really sure about that note. The article also mentions that she was once considered a top 20 player so those numbers seem to be pretty huge.

To finish, it also says that Maria caused a revolution in Wimbledon for wearing a lace edging culotte which was apparently a huge success.

that said, I think I might just have to add her results from 1956 to 1958
mi mascota es tan grande que necesita un trailer para desayunar
Sonf@ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote