TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Blic: Jelena and Monika to play exibition in Belgrade next year!

View Single Post

Old Dec 27th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #26
country flag rolandg

rolandg is a name known to all rolandg is a name known to all rolandg is a name known to all rolandg is a name known to all rolandg is a name known to all rolandg is a name known to all rolandg is a name known to all rolandg is a name known to all rolandg is a name known to all rolandg is a name known to all rolandg is a name known to all
Re: Blic: Jelena and Monika to play exibition in Belgrade next year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDoIt View Post
First She wasnt criticised.
Second I am not sure can she speak Hungarian and is she fluent in it at all ( while she is in Serbian )
Third : you cant say she fells more Hungarian than Serbian and that wasnt attached to Serbia because she never said or even suggested something like that.

That is your opinion,and I appriciate it, but strongly disagree.
Sorry, I don't know how old you are, but in the early nineties, when she played for Yugoslavia, she was constantly criticised for being Serbian. Croation players went on at her, people protested outside tournaments she played, she received death threats and she was constantly pressed by journalists to comment on the balkan crisis.

Hungarian is her first language. Her family still speak it to each other and she speaks English even now with quite a heavy Hungarian accent. I think she can still speak Serbian, but she said in an interview a while ago, I think at the US Open, that she spoke to Jelena Dokic mostly in English because she had forgotten her Serbian and it was so bad.

Before she became a US citizen, she and her family always referred to themselves as Hungarian, never Serbian. Peter Bodo, who is an American tennis writer for Tennis magazine, was one of the few journalists that could speak to Karoli Seles because he too spoke Hungarian, and he said that Karoli and Monica alwys found it difficult, because they had no emotional involvement in Serbia and the things that went on, as they are Hungarian.

I always found her life and history fascinating, and that's why I always felt sorry for her.
rolandg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote