TennisForum.com - View Single Post - The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu

View Single Post

Old Nov 11th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #13
country flag Shvedbarilescu
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu

WOW!!! How about that then?

Monica has just won her 2nd ITF in a row. Two weeks ago she lost only 19 games in 5 matches on indoor hard in Istanbul. Today she proved she can do exactly the same thing on outdoor hard, losing just 19 games in 5 matches in Port Pirie, Australia.

Because the manner of the victories has been so consistantly impressive I thought it would be nice just to list the entire winning streak right here as that says more than words really can as to how well this girl is playing.

Istanbul, Oct 23 1R (8)Monica Niculescu (ROU) v (WC)Melis Sezer (TUR) 60 61
Istanbul, Oct 24 2R (8)Monica Niculescu (ROU) v (Q)Tinatin Kavlashvili (GEO) 61 63
Istanbul, Oct 26 QF (8)Monica Niculescu (ROU) v Georgie Stoop (GBR) 62 64
Istanbul, Oct 27 SF (8)Monica Niculescu (ROU) v (2)Katie O'Brien (GBR) 64 62
Istanbul, Oct 28 F (8)Monica Niculescu (ROU) d. Oxana Lyubtsova (UKR) 62 60

Port Pirie, Nov 7 1R (4)Monica Niculescu (ROU) def. (Q)Lauren Breadmore (AUS) 64 62
Port Pirie, Nov 8 2R (4)Monica Niculescu (ROU) def. Georgie Stoop (GBR) 63 62
Port Pirie, Nov 9 QF (4)Monica Niculescu (ROU) def. (Q)Aleksandra Srndovic (SWE) 61 60
Port Pirie, Nov 10 SF (4)Monica Niculescu (ROU) def. Nicole Thyssen (NED) 63 61
Port Pirie, Nov 11 F (4)Monica Niculescu (ROU) def. I-Hsuan Hwang (TPE) 61 62

Pretty impressive, I'd say.

The ITF tour must be very difficult for all the players, the costs are very high, the prize money very low. Matches are poorly attended. No one wants to be there, everyone is trying to escape onto the main tour. And it is not easy, everyone is playing for their life. But the best way to escape and get on to the riches and excitement of the main WTA tour is simply to win all your matches. This is obviously the route Monica has chosen to take.